My mother (91) with dementia keeps removing her bandages from an open wound. Any ideas?

No matter how many times I tell her not to remove it, she doesn’t listen. It’s an open wound & needs to heal. Every time she removes the bandage, it starts bleeding again & is prone to infection. Yesterday she took it off 3X & 3X I had to redo. I’m going to run out of wound care supplies...any ideas?

13

Answers

Thank you all for your kind & thoughtfulness...the wound is getting better...
Reply to CaregiverL

My dad is 94 y.o. he has a scbad scrap like its top skin of his hand on the top of his hand. U knw how elderly ppl get their skin super thin. Well he had a fall due to his pee on the floor. Well all i do for his healling is 1first 2 days i wrapp his hand in antibaterial med n gauze. N next couple of days i let it air out so it can dry faster w anti bacterial on it of course. It really wrks fast
Reply to Ng78580

Depending how big the wound is, you could try liquid bandage She wouldn't even see it.
Reply to Isabelsdaughter

Hi CaregiverL, they are called Geri-sleeves. I get them on Amazon.
My husband wears them all day. He likes the comfort of having his arms wrapped.
Reply to WyoNana

Found a great resource on line I believe called the woundcareshop. Supplies I'd not known about including a 3M tape called Kind (!) which should be in every darn hospital. I believe for people it is a bandage called Coban, but the vet supplies have something called VetRap...a self adhesive kind of bandaging. Very hard situation you're in. They can be so sneaky, and the one minute you go to do something, they're at it!!
Reply to robinr

My mom has a clear bandage in her arm wounds [they even write the date it was put on right on it] that stays on & falls off after a certain time so that you can monitor the healing - then over that she has those sleeves to try to prevent her knocking herself & getting more wounds - FYI ... she is diabetic & in a NH with a staff wound care specialist who uses these products which is fantastic
Reply to moecam

I would get a high quality colloidal silver and spray the wound at least 8xs daily, it should heal up in a couple of days, it will keep it from getting infected also. No sting or pain on applying, cool and soothing.

I hope something helps you to help her get this cleared up.

Thank you, Sue! I’ll look for that...what exactly is that called? So I know what to ask for. Thanks again!
Reply to CaregiverL

There are "sleeves" made of a beige, stretchy material that you can cut a thumb hole opening and have it go all the way up the arm and tape it to her clothing. It's the webbing they sometimes put under casts. She wouldn't be able to get to the bandage.

Try a medical supply store or ask your doctor if they have any arm sleeves.
Reply to SueC1957

I also took her to dermatologist but he couldn’t examine her since she was so agitated
Reply to CaregiverL