Over the past 10 years my mother (79) has been living off her divorce settlement and Social Security Retirement. What other assistance programs would she qualify for? - AgingCare.com

Over the past 10 years my mother (79) has been living off her divorce settlement and Social Security Retirement. What other assistance programs would she qualify for?

She is now down to SSR being her only income which is $826 a month. I know she qualifies for food stamps but am wondering what other assistance programs she would qualify for? Any suggestions that will send me in the right direction to start that I won't be wasting precious time on would be greatly appreciated. She is still very independent and does drive, so she is not ready to be put in a nursing home yet. Thank you so much in advance.

1

Answer

If you search AgingCare for:

10 Government Programs You Can Access for Your Elderly Parents

there's an interesting article there.

But there's so much variation that you might do best to contact your mother's local Area Agency on Aging and ask them for advice. They'll have the most relevant information.