My mom's dementia is declining quickly. She thinks I was born in a different city and hospital, but I didn't correct her. Was that the right thing to do? - AgingCare.com

My mom's dementia is declining quickly. She thinks I was born in a different city and hospital, but I didn't correct her. Was that the right thing to do?

it probably would have upset her if i corrected her. thanks.

2

Answers

Agree with lhardebeck.
When my mother's dementia was in the earlier stages I corrected her frequently and she always became upset and argumentative. Since I realized that MY ego was the problem i learned to let most things slide unless it's a safety matter.
It's much more pleasant to have a conversation based on her imagination . . and sometimes hilarious. I always have many funny stories to tell when I get home from the nursing home.
Reality is relative. Enjoy the time you spend with her.

you done the right thing .
pa often mention we need to go upstairs to the bathroom . well i dont have a upstairs , all one level . i just say yep we better goto the bathroom pa .
he often ask me where s ur momma at ? shes been dead 20 yrs ago . i did tell him the truth the first time that shes gone to better place , he bawled like a baby and said so im the only one left ? yes pa . it hurt me so much to watch him bawl like a baby . ive decided i wasnt going to do that anymore
that would put him in deeper depressions .
so when he asks me i just tell him i dont know pa i havent seen her . he would tell me shes suppose to go to the store and back . i said yes maybe shes on her way back . then he forget s all about it .
i just go along with what i think he would like to hear and put a smile on his face . instead of aruging and watch him go into depressions or cry .
lord knows why we tell lit white lies .

• Wearing purple, using hashtags and changing your profile picture on social media won't end Alz, but there are other significant ways that you can have a beneficial impact on patients and families who are dealing with dementia.
  • People with Alzheimer's and dementia often experience difficulty with recalling the names and faces of their family, friends, and professional care team. In some cases, though, all they need is a little help to mentally connect the dots.
  • The AgingCare.com forum is filled with people coming together to share valuable information. We’ve compiled experienced caregivers’ best suggestions for devices and programs to help locate and identify dementia patients who wander.
  • The AgingCare.com forum is filled with people coming together to share valuable information. We’ve compiled experienced caregivers’ best tips for medications that may help minimize dementia behaviors like wandering.