My mom went from her "normal" on Tuesday to sleeping 24 hours a day hardly eating on Wednesday last week. Is this the new normal? - AgingCare.com

My mom went from her "normal" on Tuesday to sleeping 24 hours a day hardly eating on Wednesday last week. Is this the new normal?

3

Answers

Mom's behavior is all over the map. There are days in a row where she'll sleep all day and hardly eat. We think her time is coming. Then she's wide and awake and peppy and eats like a horse. We have no idea. We just take each day as it comes.
Reply to MountainMoose

Does your mom have HH to help you evaluate?
What stage do you think your mom is in?
It sounds like it’s time to call in hospice to evaluate your mom.
Reply to 97yroldmom

I’m not sure about the eating part, but I can tell you that, as I write this, my bedridden husband has been sleeping since 1PM and it is now 4:30. He also can “nap” from 9:30 or 10AM until lunch. And, occasionally he will doze off after supper as well.

Why? Could be plain old boredom. Could be depression. She may feel she deserves to sleep the rest of her life away if she raised children and or worked hard for a living in her younger years.

If I were The World’s Best Cargiver, I’d get him up and out of bed in the morning with our fancy Hoyer lift, into his big and expensive electric wheelchair and engage him in fun card games and puzzles for hours a day. But I’m not. I just sit and listen to him snore.

If you’re concerned Mom isn’t feeling well, call her doctor. It’s always good to check in with them anyway.