My mom was able to walk around fine this morning but this afternoon her legs were buckling underneath her and she couldn’t walk. Suggestions? - AgingCare.com

My mom was able to walk around fine this morning but this afternoon her legs were buckling underneath her and she couldn’t walk. Suggestions?

17

Answers

We r not alone like i used to think, for the past 12 + yrs.
Reply to Ng78580

Thank u so much deeanna i surely appreciate ur advice n answer. I tell u n everyone else on this support group this is so awesome. Whn i need to ask r advice. I knw so. Eone hete will listen.
Reply to Ng78580

Ng78580, I think that long as you don't make an issue of whether he does or doesn't use the wheel chair, then it is okay if you have him walk around. But DO NOT FIGHT with him about whether he should or should not use the wheel chair. Your father is the best person to judge as to how his legs feel. If he says that his legs are too weak to walk or that his knees are bothering him, then let him use the wheelchair.

Does he use a cane or walker when he is walking or just hang on to furniture? I would suggest that he use a walker with wheels like a "Rollator" which has a seat so that he can sit down whenever he feels weak. Here are two suggestions of rollators that I like by DRIVE and MEDLINE. Both companies have good quality rollators and Medicare will pay for the purchase of a Rollator if ordered by a doctor. I suggest that you ask your father's doctor for a physical therapy evaluation for a rollator. There are several different versions with and without wire baskets or cloth baskets and they each fold up differently. One of the rollators that we have folds up tightly and fits nicely in the back seat of the car and the other one does not fold up as tightly and takes up over half of the trunk space.

Drive Medical Adjustable Height Rollator with 6" Wheels, Blue Item # RTL10261BL by Drive Medical,

Medline Ultralight Rollator- Smoky Blue Item # MED MDS86825SLB by Medline
Reply to DeeAnna

My father has somehow thte same issue as shellys mom... Is it wrong of me taking him off of wheelchair n walking him around. As soon as he feels weak or a problem with his knees he wants wheelchair n he uses it around house but i say to him only for a while thn its bac to walking.
Reply to Ng78580

She has had several ct and mri to rule out stroke and pneumonia all are negative. The Dr is ordering Pt evaluation tomorrow. This evening she was still a little confused but it seems like she’s getting her mind back. She knew how old I was and my birthday. Thanks everyone for your answers.
Reply to ShellyO

Infections in the elderly can really zap their strength. I know of an elderly lady who was very steady on her feet--except when she had a respiratory infection, like mild pneumonia, then she would become unsteady on her feet and fall. After a treatment of antibiotics, she was up and "running" about like usual...until she got another respiratory infection.

Let us know how your Mom is doing. She may need a few days in a skilled care rehab facility for "in-house" physical and occupational therapy.

I have never been fond of doing physical and occupational therapy in someone's home as it isn't as intensive and as involved as in a facility because the home usually doesn't have all of the equipment that a facility has.

You might want to start looking into post-hospital PT/OT therapy in a rehab facility now so that you will be prepared when your Mom is discharged from the hospital. Let us know what happens when your Mom is discharged from the hospital.
Reply to DeeAnna

Have they done an MRI to rule out a stroke or neuro problem? If not, I would push for one just to make sure she hasn't had any major neurological changes that could be causing the movement problems.
Reply to FrazzledMama

We called 911 that night and she is back in the hospital. All of her blood work and test are fine. They are giving her fluids and antibiotics to make sure she doesn’t have any infection somewhere. She is doing better but weak. Thanks for all the answers. I still can’t figure out why she couldn’t walk. This has never happened to her before.
Reply to ShellyO

Hi ShellyO

The dehydration may be a symptom of a more serious issue.

Have they taken a close look at her liver. Liver disease cause muscle wasting and weakness.

Liver disease can be difficult to detect with blood work, until 80 percent of liver function is gone.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4481431/

******[ Muscle wasting is defined as the progressive and generalized loss of muscle mass.

Muscle depletion is a common feature of chronic liver disease found in approximately 40% of patients with cirrhosis.

Its etiology is multifactorial subsequent to liver failure and its prevalence increases along with disease severity.Jun 28, 2015 ]
Reply to Heather10

Shelly, if you haven't already call the hospital and ask them what to do.