She needs more time than this. Their answer is to start paying for it July 1 and gradually move in. Why can't they let us start paying (and living there) on July 15 or August 1. Is this a negotiation like any other business deal?

I can see if they have others ready to move in on July 1, then they would take them, but I don't think they do. How do I work this?

Great, Karsten! So glad that this is working out.

Always remember that the enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan. (corollary--the are NO perfect plans).

well my counteroffer for compromising on July 15 worked. I guess I have negotiated contracts for work all my life and to do some is just part of my blood.

Thank you for comments to admittedly a petty issue given the bigger issues we have all dealt with on here.
Reply to Karsten

Most rentals begin first of the month. If you continue to change a contract for your convenience, the the rental owner can back away. I cannot sympathize for you.

Karsten, what does your mom need "more time" for?

She doesn't have to empty and sell the house. She just has to move what she needs. The rest can be done gradually.

Anytime I negotiate contracts, it is about reading people for the right approach. Showing interest and asking questions which do not put the facility on the defense is best. Once their guard is more relaxed, ask for a discount for the month. The worse that can happen is they say no.
Reply to tacy022
Karsten Jun 19, 2019
Thanks. That is the approach I took.
(1)
A lot of facilities have difficulty breaking even, if they are non-profit (or in making the profit their private owners expect), so they need to maintain occupancy to keep the money rolling in. Nursing Homes here insist on rooms being cleared out within 24 hours of a death, because they can’t get the Medicaid-type subsidy without a living occupant. If it’s the best place for your mother, you may just have to bight the bullet and pay for the 'wasted' fortnight.
Reply to MargaretMcKen
Karsten Jun 19, 2019
thanks, but keep in mind this is just not for four nights, it is for a whole month
(0)