My mom likes to eat the same thing every day. Can she become anxious if someone tries to make different food for her? - AgingCare.com

My mom likes to eat the same thing every day. Can she become anxious if someone tries to make different food for her?

17

Answers

Yep...after a certain point in life's journey...eat, drink and smoke what you want.

My paternal grandmother ate a cup of dry Lucky Charms for breakfast, lunch and dinner with a scoop of vanilla ice cream afterward for the last three years of her life. All family members tried to interest her in other food options now and then but she’d pleasantly decline and continue to eat her cereal. Digging out and identifying each marshmallow shape thrilled her so much EVERY time she ate, it was truly an enjoyable experience to watch her.
....I still miss her!

Myshell, sounds like it is better for Mom to eat what she has always enjoyed. What she has been eating sounds really good :))

The only thing I could think maybe Mom had a major food allergy reaction. Only thing different I could see compared to what Mom has always eaten compared to what the caregiver prepared was maybe the eggs in the mayo or some other spice. My Dad use to get sick from anything that had paprika.

When it comes to food for someone who is older, think of it this way.... if they want ice cream for breakfast, let them have it.... unless there is a restrictive diet.

Is what she is eating healthy or balanced? If yes, I would let her eat the same thing. My former husband's granny only ate Campbell's' Cheese soup for the last 15 years of her life. It may not have provided full nutrition, but she was eating and getting some calories.

Thank you Tothill! :) My mom has a Dan's Cheesburger with a small onion ring and a large chocolate shake. She has been eating that for the 2-1/2 years. I finally broke down and hired a care taker helping her/me. She started last Wednesday, KA cooked her a hamburger patty w/rice and meatloaf and potato salad on Thursday. The reason I asked the question was that my mom was out of sorts on Friday; twitching all over her body especially the right side, problem with balance and a hard time talking. Took her to ER and she spent the night. Lab work, CT Scan and x-rays came back good. She's the picture of health minus the dementia. Also, right before she was taken to hospital she had a explosive bowel movement. I try to tell my friends and family that when she eats the same thing every day there are no issues but if it is foreign food to her we have problems. Doctor and nurses told me I am doing a great job and had no concerns with her eating the same thing every day. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

My mother has been eating Pizza Hut for over 3 months. It has to be Pizza Hut. She won't eat any other pizza. For dessert, she eats anything we buy. Sometimes I have to hide the sweets because she'll eat them all and we won't get to eat any. Doctor said it was alright.

Myshell - I learned the hard way - give them what they want or they can quit eating.

There are ways to sneak in supplements into anything if you're concerned about nourishment. But when I tried to increase my DH's food selections, he shut down and wouldn't eat anything. Worst 3 months ever! It was a struggle to get him eating again.

We went through a spaghetti & tv dinner period. Then it was nothing but Fish Sticks. Now it's pretty much Hot Cocoa with ice cream.

Ok, this is what I do - I start his cocoa with ensure plus (strawberry) and add cocoa mix after I have heated the ensure. Topped off with a generous portion of ice cream. I'm calculating it's a minimum of 500 calories per hot cocoa. I also use Barlean's Chocolate Silk Greens in it and it tastes just like chocolate. I even use a small amount of Cacao Tigernut for the prebiotics.

3 of these daily gives him his daily requirements and he's now back on some food; an egg for breakfast and some "chicken-fried-rice" with popcorn shrimp for lunch.

It's all about getting calories in on a daily basis.

I am so glad this question was asked, and so appreciative of all the responses...what a comfort...not that I didn't know the answer (basically let'em eat whatever they want), but to see the variations on the themes. I could be caregiver 24/7, but I'm not...and dad is out and about (at 100) but doesn't exactly think about what his beloved (age 95 with dementia) is eating/should eat/has to eat. Except he was trying to not buy more ice cream treats or wanted to buy 1/2 gallons thinking the extra effort to dig it out of the carton would slow mom down LOL. I feel guilty often because I do not think she is eating well, and I feel like I should make some choices and put it in front of her...because if/when asked, she will decline/deny she wants it...although she WILL eat dinner when I prepare it...and pick at it if it is not to her liking. She eats her routine toast and coffee for breakfast; lunch appears to be often tomato or veggie soup with the leftovers put in the fridge and then never eaten...She LOVES her ice cream treats. I haven't kept track, and dad may be having some as well, but they are gone through rapidly...like a 36 assortment from Costco made it through about 2 weeks...I was devastated to find the answer of this assortment was seasonal! It's great as it is individual servings of cones, sticks and sandwiches. The other thing she loves is OLIVES. Dad as well, but hey, it may be the key ingredient to doing well and they just haven't done the research yet. Mostly canned black. She also will sit down with a bag of chips...Even if the nutrition is not the best, I figure it is her choice and her life and this is preferable to arguing and battles which would be upsetting. BTW...my mother used to cook almost every night...and I have a new found appreciation for her efforts. She also kept moderately kosher...and that has fallen away.

I say let mom eat what makes her happy. THANK GOD she is eating something. something is better than nothing. My mother and dad only ate canned soup for the past two years of me taking care of them. they wouldn't eat anything I made. I use to argue with them but after a while I figured something is better than nothing.

After my Mom passed away my father ate NOTHING except Hungry Man dinners - for 3 years, even though we had full time Home Health Aides who would have gladly cooked anything he wanted. I always joked with him that all the preservatives were keeping him alive. He loved the process of picking out which one he would have that night and microwaving it.
Let it go. If it was me I would want to eat or drink whatever the heck.
It has been 10 months since he passed and I can assure you it was NOT because of his diet.