Doctors say it is end-stage dementia. She had a seizure and swallowed her tongue when admitted to the hospital, so likely brain damage involved.

I have been told she can last this way for quite some time in the nursing home and hate to see her in this condition.

So I can't respond on the medical side of things. But, oh my, how you must feel in this situation. Do the best you can to deal with it. I've said this before, but dementia is such a thief. Steals the person we've always known right away from us. Let the guilt go. It serves no purpose in these situations. I wish you well.
Reply to lynnm12

Why was a Dementia patient in the last stages put on a feeding tube?
Especially if having problems swallowing, not eating or drinking. You may want to talk to a Hospice agency and see if they come in, can the tube be removed. That is the way I would go.

I try to do so and guess it makes it more difficult that I rented from her and began the process of cleaning her things out as I know she will never come home.

With Easter coming, I already bought her an Easter card for her room at the nursing home and plan on buying a lily assuming she may will smell it.

All this went from her exercising and walking one week to bed-bound the next and shows how fragile life can be.

Thank you for your response.
Reply to Ernie13905

It is not physically possible to swallow your tongue, seizure or otherwise.
Reply to LoopyLoo
Ernie13905 Apr 6, 2019
I believe your answer, but why would a doctor at the hospital tell me that over the phone?
(0)
You are correct that she can live longer. If you feel guilt, think of the times you had a more quality visit. If she is less communicative try not to feel guilt if you reduce visits.