My mom is later stage 6 of Alzheimer's. She has forgotten how to brush her teeth, hair, even to bathe herself. How do I approach this?

I have 2 siblings that don't come around at all. I'm my Mom's basis caregiver besides my 82 yr. old Dad that is having alot of trouble dealing with all this. He was raised in an environment of screaming & hollering. My Mom is becoming more child like & he's beginning to screaming & hollering alot. My Mom just cries. How do I appoach this without screaming baby.

7

Answers

Get help! This situation is miserable for both of your parents, and you all three of you have my heartfelt sympathy. Don't hesitate to go to your local social services for advice: this is not something even a loving and caring child can handle alone.

My Dad hollered too. Was just his personality. Got worse when he couldn't control a situation. Dad probably has no idea what Mom is going thru and has no idea how to handle it. Have you considered a nursing home for Mom. She is only going to get worse. This is not a good situation for either one of them. Your Dad hollering could be a form of anxiety that is not good for him. He is lost.

It’s possible your Dad may need evaluation by his geriatric physician (or internist) for stress, chemical imbalance or depression. Do you generally care for both parents? Also do you accompany parents to medical appointments?
If so, learning about Dad’s behavior may help the doctor to prescribe medication or treatment. This could ultimately help all parties. I am not assuming you live with them. I agree if they qualify for or can afford Home Care, that having a neutral party come in may help to settle and sort things as well as to provide you respite.
Reply to TheOtherDtr

this is a TOUGH journey you are dealing with. I hope you can find some help
Reply to wally003

If u signed in - top right - click on your little icon
go to edit account top right on blue hi-lighted area
then edit profile
Reply to wally003

How do I create a profile as you call it
Reply to PMunoz

P, you have no profile listed so I am going to assume you are living with your parents. You need help. You are trying to be a full time caregiver to 2 people. If there’s anger involved (like you said Dad “screams and hollers”) physical violence could come next.

Call your local Adult Protective Services or your Agency on Aging and ask for help. If your parents are on Medicare, you should be able to get a home health care aide, if not palliative Care or Hospice, or even help finding a facility.

You need to take it upon yourself to research and find help. Things will only get worse.