My mom is going through rapid memory loss. She is to appear in court and give a statement. I'm her POA, can I give the statement for her? - AgingCare.com

My mom is going through rapid memory loss. She is to appear in court and give a statement. I'm her POA, can I give the statement for her?

4

Answers

Kst, are you doing this by yourself? Mom received the letter and possibly a legal notice was also placed in the newspaper. If this is a competency hearing then this is part of the court process. If mom received the notice and she feels she is competent then she is responsible to have her say in court. It is her option to appear. I hope that you have a document from her doctor attesting to her condition. This usually comes as a form from the court.

The problem with competency is that some people show signs of memory loss to family but pass mental scoring or they compensate when an issue is on the line. They pass and then return back to the same problems.

Can you give a little more background info?

Yes, need more info about what kind of statement. If not having to do with her cognitive ability, then I would get something from the doctor saying she has Dementia.

Quite - it must partly depend on what the hearing is about. But thinking about it, whatever her statement it has to be her statement. You can be there to support her, but you can't do it for her.

If the hearing does relate to her care or wellbeing and it's in a family court, I would expect it to have well-established procedures for treating vulnerable people sensitively. Why not ring them up and ask?

What sort of hearing is this? Do, some not believe she has dementia? In t that case,  part of the reason for the statement is for the judge to determine competency. Check with your attorney to see if there is an option for mom to meet one on one with the judge. No courtroom intimidation.