Within 3 weeks of these deeds the mother has been in hospital with dementia, brain bleeds and severe confusion. We think only one deed was signed by the notary and the mother, the notary did think she was confused but felt she was just witnessing her signature. The sister used that one notary stamp for two different deeds in seperate Texas counties. What do we do? Is it interstate since it is between OK and Texas ? Can you have FBI look at it to see if it is fraud? or do you contact DHS?

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
I think you have some issues here that are more than just influence. It's the issue of whether or not your MIL had title to the rights, rights which could actually be conveyed. Only a title search would reflect that.

I.e., when she took title from the previous owner, the mineral rights would have had to be conveyed to her; if not, she doesn't have a right to convey them to someone else.

A quit (not quick) claim deed would not be the appropriate conveyance document. I'm not sure it would even convey anything when applied to mineral rights. A quit claim deed transfers the owner's interest, but it does NOT warrant that the owner holds clear and transferable title. This may sound like wordsmithing, but it's a legitimate and serious issue in any kind of title transfer, whether that affects real property or mineral or gas rights.

To whom were the mineral rights allegedly conveyed? Your SIL? But then your MIl would still hold title to the land, right?

Unfortunately, this could be a mess, especially since your MIL apparently may not have had the cognizance to understand what she was doing.

What you first need to do is find a real estate attorney with experience in mineral rights to find out if anything was actually conveyed, and to order a title search to determine who owned or who had rights to the minerals.

Those quit claim deeds might be worthless.

If they are, any charge of elder abuse, FBI involvement, or other action might be moot because the transfer wasn't effective. Then your SIL's action might be construed to be an attempt at influencing a vulnerable elder, a different level of charge. And I don't know that much about potential fraud or elder abuse charges if the attempt by an individual was a legal failure.

Caveat: my knowledge on transfer of mineral rights is essentially limited to what I wrote. This is a complicated title issue, and there very well could be other aspects of which I'm unaware. This is one reason why an experienced real property attorney with mineral rights experience needs to be involved.
Helpful Answer (1)

APS, Adult Protective Services.
Helpful Answer (1)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter