I’ve tried not letting him drink after 6pm, he takes flomax, I put 2 depends on him and change sheets every day.

Order Extrasorbs by Medline on Amazon, the extra large size, which hold a gallon of fluid apiece. They're disposable Chuck pads for the bed and they're life savers.

https://www.amazon.com/Medline-Extrasorbs-Drypad-Underpads-Permeable/dp/B07GYZNDY8/ref=sr_1_5?crid=30TWVDKTSCUAK&dchild=1&keywords=medline+extrasorbs+ap+30x36&qid=1618530758&sprefix=Extras%2Caps%2C318&sr=8-5

You can also order guards.....they're like doublers for the Depends and hold lots of extra fluid

https://www.amazon.com/Depend-Incontinence-Maximum-Absorbency-Packaging/dp/B01KOFCNP0/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=depends+doublers&qid=1618530567&sr=8-6

Good luck!
Reply to lealonnie1

Doubling up a pull up brief will not double the absorbency.
the pull up and tab briefs have a liner on the outside that is there to prevent leakage. this will prevent a second pull up or tab brief from fully absorbing excess fluid.
There are pads that are made to be placed inside a pull up or tab brief that will absorb more.
You can get a much more absorbent under pad that will help keep bedding lean and dry.
There are condom catheters that you could use.
Another option might be to wake him and have him use a urinal if getting him out of bed and to the bathroom or commode is not easy or safe to do.
Reply to Grandma1954
Beckymcd Apr 18, 2021
Thanks
(0)
I have a fitted sheet, then a folded flat plastic sheet, a lightweight small cotton blanket, and a bed underpad. Then I add a folded hand towel as an insert in his pull up Depend. Every morning, I cut the Depend off with scissors, have him raise up and I throw the hand towel in the washer and the Depend in the trash. If the underpad is wet, it goes in the washer, and if the cotton blanket is wet, it goes in the washer. No mess, no lingering urine odor. I don’t expect him to not wet the bed, I just have to improvise so the workload is not too hard. With the plastic sheet, I don’t have to change his bottom fitted sheet as often. Best wishes.
Reply to burlebaby

We experienced this same issue with my dad. It’s tough on everyone! We used a different brief, Tena, I think? He slept in pull on shorts b/c he didn’t like to sleep in just his brief. Also, when he did, he’d sometimes fidget with it and undo it, so shorts worked great.I bought waterproof quilted bed pads that can be laundered. One side is blue, the other white quilting. Very comfortable to lay on & hold up to hundreds of washings. There are various sizes, too. We used a 3’ by 5’ nearer the end as he was more restless and the bed was protected. Easy to change out even if your loved one is bedridden. We checked and changed my dad every 4 hours so he wouldn’t get skin breakdown. My dad was wheelchair bound. There’s hope!
Reply to DadsGurl

I have the same issue with my mom. Her doctor cut her down to 1 liter of fluid max per day and no fluids after 6 p.m. However, she goes through two bed pads per night and at least two pairs of pants. This is in addition to multiple diaper changes through the night and getting up 2-3 times to use the bathroom!! We are scratching our heads on this one and will be talking to her doc next week during a follow up appt.

With her doc's approval I tried AZO with Go-Less and it worked for about a month- she stopped wetting during the night. But now, it stopped working and we're back to square one.

We are going to see if her doc will approve a PureWick (external catheter system for women) as this will help with her nighttime wetting. For men, a condom catheter might be your best bet.

In the meantime, she wears McKesson ultra absorbency pull ups at night (she still soaks through them). I use the large size Beck's classic reusable bed pads, (I get mine from carewell.com) underneath which they have been great with keeping the wetness from going any further. I have a lot on hand just in case. You can double these up too if you need to or if you get one large enough fold in half for extra protection. Just in case, I have plastic sheeting underneath her fitted sheet to keep anything from getting to the mattress protector.
Reply to ybd311
sazure Apr 18, 2021
It is interesting that docs would suggest cutting back on fluids when they are necessary to assist with the side effects of any Rx. (ie help expell) The body needs water. As well, both when I worked in health care and took care of my mom I would never put anyone ever on any type of catheter "of old" but looked at these newer types. I still feel horrible when one night when I was at the hospital with my mom - they asked if they could insert a catheter. She was screaming in pain. That was a while back and maybe they have improved.

She died within the next two days and I realized they were just too lazy to change her diaper and I was tired from being there around the clock often changing her myself (rather then wait for a long time for staff to come) and I had never been around when one was inserted. (I only say this as I once buzzed for them to come to her aide as the morphine had worn off and she was highly agitated trying to crawl over the railing. She had cancer, and I tucked her in with the sheets and ran out to see the staff eating pizza!!! ignoring the buzzes!!! (it was a VERY quiet night). The doctor who knew my mom (RN, PA for four neurosurgeons) was livid as I told him I never wanted these two individuals on with my mother ever and he asked why. She had never missed a single day of work!

Here is an Amazon review (great for getting feedback on many things). One can see the negative reviews along with the positive.

"""""""""""""""https://www.amazon.com/Bard-Medical-Purewick-External-Catheter/dp/B07Y42RD9T/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=purewick+female+external+catheter&qid=1618771565&sr=8-1"""""""""""""""""
(0)
I have this problem with my husband who has dementia. Someone here (I forget his name now) suggested a wonderful idea. I buy “ultimate absorbency” pads and insert the pad AFTER I cut open the sticky side of the pad. When the pad is over saturated, the excess is absorbed by the Depend giving me additional protection. This only helps cut down on the amount of leakage; it does not prevent leakage. I still have to get him up at 4am to change (and every 3 hrs during the day). By that time, both the pad and the Depend are super wet.

Depend also has “ultimate absorbency,” so get that. Order online from Sam’s club. Much cheaper than in stores. Again, same thing for the pads and get the extra long ones. Buy the CVS ones because they are long and the back are easier to cut. Forget the thin ones. They are useless.

As for pants, don’t bother in bed. They will always get wet, so why bother. During the day, yes. Not in bed at night.
Reply to Worriedspouse
Beckymcd Apr 18, 2021
Thanks
(0)
I can’t say if this is true or not. I am NOT a medical professional.

My mom is now in a hospice house but I did care for her in my home for many years.

She is incontinent due to her Parkinson’s disease and her age.

A nurse told her that sugar causes more urinating. Mom has always loved eating ice cream and drinking ensure drinks which have sugar!

When she cut back on the sugar it didn’t seem to make a huge difference. Maybe for some people it does help.

That pill, began with a b, sorry can’t remember the name took a long time before a slight change was noticed.

Wetting the bed at night is an extremely common problem.

Mom has a catheter in place now. She has dealt with some UTI’s but the antibiotics have kept them under control so far.
Reply to NeedHelpWithMom

Hello! I recommend:
1) see a continence expert, a WOC nurse. They are Board Certified in this question!
2) my recommendation would be investigate trying a condom style catheter -the advantage of being male -just for over night.
Good luck.
Reply to Sarafina
HoustonPat Apr 19, 2021
Yes I totally agree. The condom catheters will let you and him sleep through the night without having to wake up with wet sheets or assisting with placing a urinal. I didn’t find out about them until 5 yrs after my dad became bed ridden. Medicare covers them and I would still recommend him sleeping on a washable pad and diaper in case they come loose but these are a life saver for those caring for men overnight who are incontinent!!! Good luck!!
(2)
Make sure he's wearing either Depends or some type of incontinence brief, and you can add a men's Kotex type pad in it as well, for more absorbency. Make sure he has several waterproof pads underneath him, so the sheets and mattress won't get wet. You can also use a plastic urinal for overnight, so he won't go in his Depends. If his current medication isn't working, have his urologist prescribe another, as there are several ones available for incontinence. His urologist can also put Botox in your husbands bladder to try and stop the urgency, and if all else fails, he can either use a condom catheter, or one that you or he can put in him, or like I had to do with my husband, he got a supra pubic catheter(which is a permanent one)which was wonderful as I only had to empty his catheter bag twice a day.
I feel for you for sure as I went through all that with my husband. It's no fun. I wish you well in getting things figured out.
Reply to funkygrandma59
NeedHelpWithMom Apr 15, 2021
Lots of good info! I have heard of people placing slits to double up on pads or briefs.

Did you do that?
(1)
Get separate beds 🛌 🛌
Hugs 🤗
Reply to CaregiverL
disgustedtoo Apr 18, 2021
Doesn't really solve the bed wetting issue... it's a lot of work to clean up the person and wash those sheets EVERY day.
(2)