My husband goes pee wherever- on floor, chair, air vent, he doesn't see the toilet and can't understand. Help! - AgingCare.com

My husband goes pee wherever- on floor, chair, air vent, he doesn't see the toilet and can't understand. Help!

He started this habit at night but now it's in daytime too. I tried so many things colored tape marking floor and toilet but for some reason he's just not seeing it. Nights I sleep lightly so when I hear him getting up, which is about 3 to 4 times, I can guide him to bathroom so not to have a suprise. He is so confused he refuses to go to toilet. I even have a waiste paper basket so he can pee. Sometimes it works. I have a commode that has not worked yet! Very challenging. Now I have to keep my eyes on him. He does have some good days but I can't trust him. Cleaning pee out of the heating vent which I did not know he did, wow the smell when the heat went on. Please did any one else have this problem?

4

Answers

Thank you. I will try the lighted toilet and the cat litter box. I do have 2 nite lights and doggie wee pads it helps a little. He gets very agitated when I show him were the toilet is, can't figure out yet why.
Reply to maryjka

maryjka, I read where placing a brightly colored toilet seat can sometimes help. Try having night lights in the bathroom, and along the hallway if the bathroom is in the hall.

I remember one writer here tried putting a cat litter box with litter where her hubby would pee, and that worked for her.

Thank you
Reply to maryjka

It's a part of dementia. All of us who reach this stage have to keep eyes on our loved ones. If you can't keep eyes on, put him in depends and anti-strip clothing (google). My husband also gets up at night, but I don't hear him. I have to use a motion detector alarm. There is a complete forum for dementia caregivers. Lots of lovely people. Check it out. alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx?g=topics&f=2147485438
Reply to jjariz