My father's caregiver is stealing money from his wallet. She is hired through an agency. What should we do? - AgingCare.com

My father's caregiver is stealing money from his wallet. She is hired through an agency. What should we do?

23

Answers

1 2 3
melmil... I want to tell you I admire your care and concern for your Dad... I think that is a very smart thing to do!!! take care, Jaye

That's an excellent point, JulieWI. Hope all is well with your Mom. I don't wish that stuff on anyone.

I haven't had any problems with my mom's home helpers, but reading this thread makes me think that we should regularly check her credit report. Idenity theft would take longer to find than stealing cash.

I have never had this happen with my dad, but I have worried about this very issue and have tried to prevent it. I live 4 hrs away from my dad, and no one can be with him at all times. He has providers in and out all day. Before I even set up the providers after my mom passed away last year, I set up a camera in his house. Then I posted signs on all the doors in his house and told all the providers I set up, too. Never have had a problem. I make sure his bills are paid, make sure he doesn't have a lot of cash on him, either. So far, we haven't had a problem. My dad and I love the cam - it has a microphone on it, we spend lot of time together through it. Wierd, but works for us...

You may want to consult with a Geriatric Care Manager in your area about this situation, and you may also want an Elder Law Attorney to help you with your legal situation. To find a Geriatric Care Manager in your area.

Anything over $400.00 is Grand Theft, a Felony!

joy4caringheart I take it you prosecuted!

This could be starting out small, but end up big - like us. The aide ended up with CD's in her name, thousands taken from safe, etc. Bank managers say, "We see this all the time." Don't delay! You have the right to say who comes and doesn't come into your home from the agency.

Our family suspected a caregiver was taking things, also. Knowing my mother, we could not be sure. I do know that you have to have proof when you accuse, but you could mention to her employers that your father has money missing. You are not accusing her, but you put them on alert. They may have had the same problems at the last place the caretaker was caring for someone. You can also request another caregiver without any explanation.

call the cops

Inform the agency....get rid of her. Demand the money back from the agency, and report the agency to the BBB.

1 2 3