My father was a veteran and has passed on. Now my mother has been put in a hospice facility, can she get aid from the VA?

20

Answers

If I'm not mistaken and your dear Mother is on Medicare, they pay for most of hospice care. I hope this helps.

It's a moot point now since my mother has passed on, but I do wonder if the VA gave me the wrong answer. She could have really used A & A since she barely eked out a living.

SCAdvive, such great information! I filled out all of the forms for AIDE & ATTENDANCE for my FIL last year, and provided all of the documents you described, and turned them in on what was called a (FDC) FULLY DEVELOPED CLAIM, which when done properly and Completely, was able to fast track his claim through the VA in only 3 weeks time, I had also sent in an INTENT TO FILE letter, so that the VA would back pay him to that date, and they did, about 2 months worth of monies. He was allowed the maximum, which was over 1700 dollars, that went a long way towards paying for his Assisted Living costs per month, which along with his usual monthly income, he didn't have to take money out of his savings, and he actually had a couple of hundred dollars left over to save monthly. Was he ever tickled to receive something from the VA, after serving twice, his original enlistment, and then being called back in during the Korean War. He was deserving indeed!

The monies continued through onto his death, even while he returned to our home on Hospice the final 9 weeks of his life. I wished we had started the process much earlier, but we were deterred, thinking he wouldn't have qualified while he lived in our home, only to find out that this was probably not true, as he could have received benefits, possibly at a lesser amount, but that he would also have been privy to many other VA benefits that we were unaware of.

A & A is a much misunderstood and under-utilized benefit available to many Veterans out there, it's a shame that they don't advertise this more, though I don't know how. Maybe through the AARP magazine that so many seniors receive, or through television commercials. Don't be discouraged, even if you are denied the first attempt, as All you can do is try!

DigitalBanker, the whole family "serves" when a member is in service. The whole family learns new ways of support and coping, especially the wife and children, and especially if the serving member is injured or is KIA.

SCAdvice could elaborate on this more eloquently than I. All of my family who served came home, and for thank I'm thankful.

GranJan, Not the same as assisted care. You can have some assets, but you need to understand ALL the rules. This site is helpful in that respect for the information given. However, I’m not recommending using them for any services. Just read the info.

payingforseniorcare.com/longtermcare/resources/veterans_pension

If you still need help understanding the rules that apply in your case call the veterans affairs office I referred to in my first post.

Grandma1954, My understanding is… according to federal law, you cannot be charged for help in filing for "veterans surviving spouse assistance".

Digitalbanker, As a vet I totally disagree with your comment. Have you served or put your life at risk for your country?

You will need to prove former marriages. This slowed my filing down. There is an Income limit too.

Since my late mother took the death benefit payout when my father died in 1967 and she died in 2014, she did not get anything further, even after we had asked the VA multiple times.

Yes, she can but it is like Medicaid, she can't own anything or have money.

I have it now for my mother, she is legally blind and housebound. We first tried 3 years ago, had someone from the VA come out and do all the paperwork for us. Received a rejection and it was because we (she) did not fill out a few lines. We were so confused and just gave up until I went to a seminar for it and tried again. Again, someone from the office came out (even though she said they usually don't do that). This time we were approved. Even though they tell you it is retro to when you first filed, I think they skipped a month for us. I was told I would get $495 a month. The field examiner came out to fill out more paperwork for me to be approved, and made a comment that he didn't know why I was not receiving the maximum ($1,200). But he would not tell me how to go about it. So I went back to the person who initially set us up and she filled out more papers. Then I get a letter saying because my mom gets a monthly annuity (which they knew about and took into account), I was going down to $249 and would have to pay back all I was overpaid. So I would say let somebody fill out the papers for you, don't stress because it is so confusing. but give it a try, it helps but the process is infuriating.

Personally for me I wouldn't know about that one. One thing that puzzles me though is why would the spouse get aid if they never served? I could understand if the spouse also served but I don't think that kind of aid should be given to those who never served