My father is on hospice. We have noticed his bottom eyelids are drooping exposing the inner part of the eye. Is this common? - AgingCare.com

My father is on hospice. We have noticed his bottom eyelids are drooping exposing the inner part of the eye. Is this common?

4

Answers

My FIL has been like this for years, he is perfectly healthy ( for 94) and I see it a lot in older people.
Reply to pamzimmrrt

My father has this as well. Our ophthalmologist.explained the same situation that Mincemeat cites. He too advised use of dry eye drops as well as a soft, moist, warm cloth to clean the secretions that become hard on the eyelids. I don't rub; I just put the cloth on to soften the secretions.

And it does get worse and more unsettling in appearance as the skin continues to separate and eventually more area around the eyelid becomes red.

This is called "ectropian" sp? It is common in the very elderly as the elasticity of the skin around the eye has lost it's elasticity. Make sure you have some moistening eye drops to keep the eyes from feeling dry.
Reply to Mincemeat

Only a guess, is he perhaps a little dehydrated?

But questions like this are really for your father's hospice team. I hope they'll be able to help and make sure he is comfortable.