My father is in a depression since one year ago. I am worried. Is it only depression or something else?

He used to read newspaper, watch TV and go out, now he only eats, drinks and sleeps nothing else. I am worried. Is it only depression or something else? He is on antidepressant since last year.

15

Answers

ThePlains please do share. Most elder loved ones suffer from depression and it’s one of the hardest parts to help them with. My mom herself is deeply, deeply depressed and seems unreachable. About the scriptures and God, all I can tell you without the shadow of a doubt is that I know if I didn’t get strength from Him, I’d be nothing. This is a very hard path we’re having to walk, caregivers and loved ones, it’s a path tougher than our human mental, emotional and physical capabilities. He is the only one that we can trust will carry us during and after our mission.

I dont know about the scripture, but my Mom is deeply depressed, all her life, only more so since losing my father. We are working with geriatric psychiatrist, geriatrician, and looking for a good talk therapist. I love this ridiculous lady so much that I have and will do anything I can figure out. I hope for weeks, months, years of peace, since whe certwinly deserves it. As do we ALL. I will post any ideas and thoughts we come across.

Thank you Rosses, It was a lot of scripture. And I do love them so much, I would do anything for them, especially anything to help spiritually, as that what truly matters.
Thank you for your kind words.
Much love in Him.

I would suggest that he be evaluated by a geriatric psychiatrist. This person can do a complete mental health evaluation and also review his medical records. He can supervise his mental health medications. There may be a suggestion of therapy if the psychiatrist believes this to be necessary.

Has his potassium checked. Dad was in a depression for 3 yrs when he had to find a cardiologist. The cardiologist found he had a potassium deficency.

Smeshque,

You typed up a good portion of the Bible for your dad?
I’m speechless.

Wow, what a good child you’ve been to your parents! And I’m sure typing it up probably gave you plenty of blessings, as you were reminded of all those beautiful lessons Christ gave us and left us with to guide us through life.

Amazing gift to your dad and also amazing all you’ve done to help him and your mom to feel able. I’m sure your dad felt great cutting up all the wood to keep his family warm!

Loved your post. It’s a true testimony of love!

Rosses is right. When I moved my Dad here, he would say things like that. He couldn't see very well anymore, but we read the bible daily. So I typed him up a 24 font copy of the bible. I finished all of the new testament and part of the old. He was able to read again.
He also was quite an active person, before age slowed him down. I figured out things like, we have birds and I would by corn on cob for squirrels and he would sit and shelled the corn from the cob, for his pigeons. Also, he was a bird man, and so I found an auction, where he could buy and sell, birds. I bought him an electric chainsaw, because it was light weight, and i would bring trees and limbs up to the house from the woods. Put them on a saw horse, and hold them for him to cut. He would have to take many breaks but we would get it done. He cut all the wood to heat the house his first winter here.
we would take him fishing, even though had to bait, cast, and help reel.
I just learned his interest and tried to accommodate anything he wanted to do.
Maybe there are some interests of your Dads that you can help him do. Did he use to have hobbies? I am sure if you think really hard about it, there is something that would spark his interest again. What I am learning about elderly, is that they all go through this feeling of uselessness. I now know this and try and keep my mom busy with the things she can do, so she feels useful. but I still once in a while hear such comments.
May God bless you and help you find resolve.

So that’s the problem, if he keeps saying he feels useless then that’s a big part of the reason why he’s depressed.

You don’t provide too much information about your/his family situation. Are you the only person caring for him? Are there other relatives that can help coming up with a plan, as a family, with ideas of things for him to do, or to give him a more active role in the family, so he feels he has a purpose. We all need a purpose in life, a reason to wake up and a goal to fulfill each day.

When one losses the ability to find that purpose, it’s important to get help from relatives and friends, as well as medical help.

My mom has a huge problem dealing with that, specially because although she tries to do things to feel useful, she’s a lot of health limitations. If your dad is in good general physical shape, he probably needs someone to help him feel useful again..That along with adequate depression meds should do the trick.

I hope you can count on others to help you help your dad, but if not, try to think of what could make him feel useful again, and do all you can to help him find his purpose again. Also make sure his medication is adjusted appropriately.

He lost interest before taking the medicines, and yes he keep on saying I am useless I have not done anything in life etc...

I agree with 97yearoldmom.

Did he lose interest before taking the medicine or did he start this lack of interest when he began taking meds?