My father is 90 with Alzheimer’s/Dementia. He is always saying sexual words. Is this normal? - AgingCare.com

My father is 90 with Alzheimer’s/Dementia. He is always saying sexual words. Is this normal?

2

Answers

I think it is. I've seen it happen a couple times, seems mostly harmless, but must feel
weird hearing it from your Dad.

It is not uncommon. Here is a similar question from two years ago: https://www.agingcare.com/questions/alzheimers-husband-talking-about-sex-all-the-time-185342.htm. You can also do a Google search for Sexual Talk in Dementia for articles.

One of many changes that happens in the brain with dementia is that social filters tend to disappear. We've learned what is and isn't socially acceptable to say almost as early as we learned to talk. When that learning disappears things like, "how did you get to be so fat?" or "I'd like to see you naked," come out.

Is this causing distress? Is dad out in public much? Who is present when he says these words?