My father can't urinate, or defecate, and won't eat. What do I do?

He has an enlarged prostate (under urologist's care with meds, but Dr. is unavailable this weekend). He has taken Miralax, and will drink some liquids (Ensure & other liquids), but is so uncomfortable due to bloated feeling. He is 93, and normally a vital, happening guy (still driving & dancing).

17

Answers

Best wishes to you and your dad, Richie. I too had a situation where I wish I had taken my dad into the ER earlier. I was tired after a few sleepless nights with him. If only... But, like in your situation, we are doing the best we can at the time for the ones we love so much. Blessings to you both.

You couldn’t force him to go to be evaluated and did the best you could. Seniors can be so stubborn!
I bet next time you’ll insist he goes to the ER & hopefully your dad learned a lesson and won’t argue with you.
I hope your father is feeling better soon. 

I'm so sorry to hear that Richie, thanks for coming back with the update.
Do remember to take time for some self care so you can be at you best as his advocate.

Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it — we did take him to the ER, and their first question, of course, "What is the main reason you brought him into the ER?" A very difficult question due to the combination of many symptoms to choose from; at that point including slurred speech, and seeing objects & people (that were not there). End result: A series of small strokes.
What I have learned: Take loved ones to the ER at the FIRST of any sign of ANY kind of abnormal behavior. The rest is damage control.

I know when my sister couldn't urinate due to a prolapse she was in agony any did not quibble about when to go for help. Richie seems unsure whether his father hasn't gone at all or if he is just having difficulty, if there has truly been nothing then I too urge you not to wait.

If he has not urinated, the body produces 2 liters per day. If his bladder ruptured and his abdomen fills with fliud and blood, that puts pressure on is abdomen and compress intestines and blood vessels called compartment syndrome. Is his abdomen very tense? Is his circulation poor in his feet? What is his blood pressure? Get him to an ER now

As a nurse, I've seen patients who can't pass their urine in AGONY. Your father is going to be more and more uncomfortable until he's in horrible pain from not being able to urinate. This is a medical emergency!
Once the bladder has burst you risk peritonitis.
The body makes 30 milliliters of urine per hour even if you don't drink anything.

Go TODAY! He has too many problems to be second guessing what's what.
If they can't pass a catheter up the urethra (due to the prostate being very swollen) they can always put in a supra-pubic catheter.
He needs a scan to see if he has a bowel obstruction.
He needs IV fluids and nutrients.

This is not something to wait for. Tell him his life depends on this. GO NOW!

I would take him to the hospital over his protests. You say he is not himself, he may well have a UTI or other infection.

The hospital can use a ultrasound on his bladder and determine if it is full. They can administer IV fluids to help with the dehydration. This sounds like a medical emergency, not a wait and see the doc he likes situation.

Richie, I would gather up Dad and drive him to the nearest urgent care center. You don't want your Dad to be dehydrated as that can cause numerous problems, like confusion. And if there is a stomach or intestine blockage, it needs immediate attention like RIGHT NOW.

If Dad feels bloated, he will not eat as it is too uncomfortable. Something is going on with his stomach/intestines. Did Dad have Ensures before without any problems, or is this his first time? If first time, Ensures contains Corn-sourced maltodextrin which is a starch, which could do a tap dance on Dad's stomach.

Richie, I am sorry he does not want to go to the ER.. but frankly he needs to. His symptoms are not good, after 3 days.