My dad (70yrs old) was feeling crappy all day. He collapsed and couldn't get up for 10 mins, he said his legs wouldn't work. Please advise. - AgingCare.com

My dad (70yrs old) was feeling crappy all day. He collapsed and couldn't get up for 10 mins, he said his legs wouldn't work. Please advise.

17

Answers

Call 911 and ignore his protests. It could be anything but the fact that his caregiving to your mom and he has to be exhausted can’t help.

My mom’s assisted living took her to ER (down the street) when she fell in the middle of the night confirmed she’d gotten up to bathroom and had a TID (tiny stroke) then losing consciousness her forehead and pelvis hit the floor, cutting her head and hairline fracture her pelvis. They got O2 on her quickly and then kept her sedated a day or two. Ultimately she hasn’t seemed to have lost speech but the pelvis was painful.

Get dad on O2, it minimizes the damage in his  brain. ASAP

Wouldn’t he want your mom checked out if it happened to her or to YOU? He’s no different. I hope it’s not serious.
Reply to HolidayEnd

That is basically what happened to DW not quite 2 yrs ago. We struggled to get her up and back onto the bed then I called 911 for transport to ER. Three days later she was sent to rehab and 22 days later she came home and had in home therapy. Never did find out exactly what was wrong.
today I noticed that she is shuffling as she walks. If she gets worse, it is off to the ER again.
Reply to OldSailor

That happened with Dad his last day in my home. He fell, and we managed to get him up and into his chair. He seemed fine by lunch, making his way to the table with his walker. Then by evening he couldn't get up at all. I took him to the ER the next morning, and he had Influenza B. He spent the next 5 days in the hospital, then went to rehab, and then MC.
Reply to talkey

Call 911
Reply to CaregiverL

Tinkerbell, call 911. Even if your Dad doesn't want to go to the hospital, the EMT's are excellent in persuading a person to go.

When my sig other refused to go after passing out then falling down the stairs, then acting very strange.... the EMT's had a trick up their sleeve.... when reading the EKG, one said he not a cardiologist, but something doesn't look quite right. That was all my sig other needed to hear, he was out the door and walked to the ambulance [no way he was getting on a gurney].

Tinkerbell, in medicine, there's always a first for something. The fact that he hasn't had a stroke or cardiac event in the past doesn't mean that he isn't going to have one. I'm not trying to be discouraging, or a naysayer, but past history isn't always predictive.

Does he take Toprol/Metaprolol? Any other Beta Blocker? Does he take a BP pill? If he's weak when he stands, he could be suffering from orthostatic hypotension.

Regardless, I hope he's now at the ER and also that you provide an update when you can return to this Forum.

Yes, your dad needs immediate medical care. Is he able to move around now? He might have had a mini-stroke. You can tell him he needs to be around for mom (if that's the case) and to do that, he needs to take care of himself first. Please keep us posted. Men can be so stubborn!
Reply to blannie

Your instincts might be correct, like others here said I think you should seek medical care, lack of action could have consequences. Let dad read this...
https://www.agingcare.com/articles/mini-stroke-effects-155336.htm
Reply to onlychild22

You call the EMTs and let them persuade him.

What Snoopy said, exactly :)