My brother and I (both DPOA) are starting the process to get Mom survivor's benefits. We can't find the marriage certificate. Any suggestions?

Mom has moved numerous time and is now in a very good nursing home. We have most of the paperwork required, but cannot find her Marriage Certificate anywhere. It's possible it was lost in one of her moves. Is there anything we can use to help her qualify instead of the Marriage Certificate. We have Dad's honorable discharge papers and death certificate.

6

Answers

We were able to track down the place in Brooklyn, NY where they were married, and they do have records available! Could have been a major problem, but now is resolved. Thanks for all your help and suggestions!
Reply to bookish66

My mom lived in Philadelphia, my dad in Jersey, got married in Collingswood...Jersey is not always helpful..
Reply to LisaNJ

Maybe mine was because Mom lived in a different county when she married the first time. I checked with Woodbury and they told me to go to Trenton. Also tried the Township, couldn't help me. Church she was married in had a fire. No help there either. I had to pay $27 dollars to prove a marriage that lasted a year.

I’m in NJ my mom and I went to the town where my parents got married (in NJ) and got her marriage certificate when Jersey went to the six point system for drivers license
Reply to LisaNJ

In the State of NJ I had to go thru vital statistics in Trenton. They will expect a marriage certificate for prior marriages too. Is there a chance Medicare may be needed in near future. If so, once on Medicaid, aids and assistance cannot be used.

You should be able to get a certified copy of the marriage record from the courthouse in the county where they were married.
Reply to jjariz