My aunt (87) is refusing to eat. Her grandmother and sister did this they just stopped eating and died. She’s otherwise good. Any advice? - AgingCare.com

My aunt (87) is refusing to eat. Her grandmother and sister did this they just stopped eating and died. She’s otherwise good. Any advice?

6

Answers

Yeah, I agree with Davina. Don't put her through anymore procedures. Let her go naturally.
Reply to Pepsee

My aunt stopped eating and got down to 69 pounds. They put her in the hospital and inserted a feeding peg, which is a tube surgically inserted into a hole cut into the stomach. She died within 14 days. A doctor told me that people usually die within two weeks of getting pegs. I say don't interfere and let nature take its course.
Reply to Davina

Don’t force her....maybe try liquid milkshakes or ensure
Reply to CaregiverL

Morphine can make this happen.
Reply to BeKind21Another

my wife has not eaten in 35 days or bm she not doing good it is coming to the end
Reply to benn2234

If she has stopped eating completely, yes she will eventually die. But even a little nourishment they can keep going for a long time.
Reply to gladimhere