Mum unbelievably slow at walking. Is this another sign of dementia?

Hi is this another JOY of dementia? my friend called me the other night to tell me he saw my mum walking down the road holding onto the wall he said it was scary how slow she was he didnt realise I was a few hundred yards behind her but still at 75yrs this is not normal is this another sign of dementia?

20

Answers

Well maybe the doc is right "if its not broken why fix it?" as long as you think he can cope on his own for now.

I checked out the hearing loss/dementia connection and also looked up difference bewtween AD and Dementia. Uncle seems to be exhibiting some signs of the Lewy Body Dementia, which I never even considerd as he is still mentally competent (in his right mind) as far as taking care of himself in his apartment - just incredibly slow. I found out all the following on lbda.org. Well, he has been sleeping alot more, has trouble sleeping (recurring hallucinations about the same thing), starting to experience urine/bowel control issues (voluntarily wearing Depends in case of accident), walking at a snails pace, seems apathetic at times (starting not to shave for days in a row), depressed attitude 'why bother shaving, I'm not going anywhere', but didn't shave for doctor visit last week, anxiety/agitation/argumentive, and of course the hearing issues. Remarkably his short and long term memory still seem quite good (according to the charts memory impairment is common but not required). So it seems he has a lot of the symptoms, but his doctor has never even mentioned the word. His doctor is very thorough with exams and diagnostics every 6 months, but he does have a pragmatic attitude: the man is 92 years old, he is as good or better physical shape than ordinarily expected for a man of his age (basically I think he believes in letting the person age naturally, and not try to "fix" things unless they are medically threatening). I can't argue with that philosophy, but at least I have a better idea of what I am dealing with and how to handle it.

My mother walks like a toddler and has moderate dementia.I understand it can be a part of it...

Thank you Kazza, At 92, I'm surprised that he does not have dementia yet. He does have some problems processing/registering complex information, however. I think that is a factor of his overall intelligence level. I have to restate things in simpler language that he can understand. I think it's a miracle he can take care of himself alone as well as he does (which is why he is fighting the NH option so hard). I am really anxious to find out about his hearing level - whether he needs a hearing aid or just a clean-out to increase his hearing level and his balance issues. We'll find out next week.

OB just wierd got an email from some health Org and they is now a link between loss of hearing and dementia maybe google it? My mum has gone from not hearing to not registering info thats what i think its like its gone beyond just not hearing?

Yes Captain this is what confuses me, Ive read that dementia patients shuffle fast? they call it a RAPID SHUFFLE? so does this start slow then increase to a fast shuffle gosh this is so confusing?

My 92-y/o 'legally blind' uncle had a recent fall and I did not find him until the next morning. Lucid, nothing broken, 1 week in hospital and then home with some home health care. He now uses his cane religiously. However, his gait is slower than a turtle now, and it takes him a long time to do simple things. He seems quite lucid, so I don't think he has dementia. But in the past 2 weeks since he has been home with aides and therapists in & out all day, he seems very grumpy/nasty to me. His hearing seems to have worsened also. Other than that he appears to be quite self-sufficient as long as there is enough medicine/food/meals in the house, and I can leave him alone for a couple of days (which I had to do because I've been sick). Lots of phone calls to keep in touch though. I also just installed the medic alert system and he wears the bracelet. Next week we have an appt with the ear doctor - I'm hoping if he can hear better, his balance will improve also.

We believe she does realize what is happening. She seems to be trying to fight it, for now anyway.

dementia patients walk with an ever increasing shuffle. end stage dementia is some terminal s**t . be nice to those people cause they aint going to be around for long.

Oh and thanks Tova thats exactly how my mum walks and has to hang onto me or a wall even at home ive noticed she falls to the side and grabs the door she WOBBLES I guess so sad to watch and very scary. This really is a horrible disease and just hearbreaking to watch i just wish shed confide in someone even a doc. We had a OT nurse here yesterday and my mum lied the whole time I had to get the nurse on her own and tell her it was all lies and that she cant even walk. Amazing how my mum tried so hard to balance herself when nurse was watching they are great actors and should get an "oscar" for thier performance!!