My mom (70) needs a suitable couch, she had hip replacement. Where can I order one?

She had a hip replacement a year ago and she cant move around too much.
Home Equipment for 70 year old mum..
Couch,wheel chair,

13

Answers

We found with our Father, then also with our Mother that we retro-fit what they had by building booster stands/platforms for their recliners. That way there was no great expense to find and purchase new ones, especially since they were fairly new and in great condition. This can even be done for couches, just ensure that you have enough 2X4's for support under plywood. They may be painted or stained to match furnishings if that is all that is holding caregivers back from doing this.

Most states and cities have organisations that loan essential equipment out to needy patients. Make sure it is a free loan and not a rental.

Google, Where do you live. I'll do some online research for you.

:)

If you do go shopping for a regular couch, what you need to look for is one that sits high. choose the highest seat you can. She will have much difficulty getting out of anything that sinks low when you sit down. I found that the ones that were sofa-beds were much firmer, and sat higher than the others. We chose one of those. We also bought him the electronic lift chair, which is where he ususaly sits, but you need more than one piece of furniture in the room.

Never just order a couch or power chair. Get a prescription from the MD and have her properly measured for seat height and depth. Even a wheelchair needs to be fitted properly . A year later she should be moving about independently. I have a feeling she did not or could not complete the PT goals. I would ask the MD why there is no progress.

If she somewhat is active by now, much happy living appears to go well! When she does sit down on the couch, such as to read or watch TV, it should be have comfortably firm cushion, and the best affordable powered riser to use. If unsure by now what is the proper couch, ask Mom's doctor or the physical therapist she had seen at the time of the hip surgery.

if you get her a power chair and you have the money, get leather. I got one online at overstock for less than 500. it can be cleaned if any accidents.

If she had a hip replaced one year ago, she should be up and about NOT lounging around in a couch! Exercise is the only remedy to get her active again. Keep her off a couch as much as possible as her hip and back will benefit. If there is pain or a problem with the hip replacement, consult a second opinion from the dr. who performed the surgery. The metal replacement might be the problem too. In any event, keep her active. Both of us (66) and (88) keep very active and don't sit much, and both have osteoporosis.

I live in Buffalo, N.Y. We have a place called Independent leaving. A social worker comes to your home with a booklet of many things that will help your mom be more independent & other items for her to help make life easier. IT's a non-for profit agency. My mom received the couch your inquiring about & she loved to cook but had severe arthritis,so she was given items so she can continue to cook bathing equipment to help her get in & out of the shower. I suggest you look to on the internet for programs in your area . The couch required a doctors script Good luck!

Tilly, are you in UK or US?
In UK you can call local Occupational Therapy folk to come in and assess her needs and guide you... even if it is a year since her operation.
Plus she can get a grant for a lot of it.
Not sure if US has the same service.

Where do you live? I am in Southern md. and I know where you can get a lift chair on a pay it forward basis. Meaning there is no charge. just pass it on when your mom no longer needs it.