Mum has vascular dementia what I'm to expect now? I feel she's getting worse. - AgingCare.com

Mum has vascular dementia what I'm to expect now? I feel she's getting worse.

Mum has diabetes and vascular dementia I've asked before as to what stage mum could be at? She is more aggressive, sleeping alot very quiet and eating ok? My friend says shes entering middle stage especially with the aggression? my friends mum had Also so i think its a different progression to vascular?
Thankfully she is seeing a shrink in next few weeks and this is the first time she will see one.

I know its hard but can anyone tell me with vascular what im to expect now i feel shes getting worse? But memory still intact?

22

Answers

1 2 3
Captain one of the "fairies" knows you and is looking out for you so be careful what you wish for!!!!! and whatever you do dont take the piss as its bad luck!

Also get your mum a walker you know the one with a seat and 3 wheels last year my mum would not hear of this now she is desperate to get one so just waiting for one from nurse as its free here.

Lots of oxygen is important and you will notice the more fresh air she gets the sharper she will be. Ive given up with mum she just wont go out for a walk so hoepfully the shrink can have a chat with her but am not expecting much. I am very worried about her meds she takes a sleeping tablet before she goes to bed then shes back down the stairs half an hour later on her own half stoned? she will not listen so ive had to let alot go as too much stress on me worrying too much and getting ill we do our best but if they wont listen and help us to help them then we have to let it go until something happens and they get a fright like a fall or something.
Had a great day away with friends lunch and put our wishes at the "fairy tree" then home to mums mess and negativity after a very happy positive day?

debbc also try giving her 3 tablespoons of coconut oil a day OR cooking her food with it the pure extra virgin stuff, theres a bit of research suggesting this may help slow down the progression and if we start taking it now could prevent dementia when we get older? I take it everyday and HEH look at me as sharp as a tack????????

kazzaa! Your mother and mine seem to be birds of a feather, including medical conditions and age! She does have trouble walking for long periods of time, but does better in places with a shopping cart (grocery stores, big department stores, IKEA, etc.). I need to encourage more walking, then. Fortunately, she is already taking fish oil, so that's a step in the right direction. It's nice to have the info and support here. Best wishes to your family.

i just slung google search engine as far from myself as i possibly could . every few minutes now theres a new and increasingly more ridiculous gyrating / spinning / flaming , etc doodle on the page . my mind wont take that foolishness .
ive opted for duckduckgo . its an engine specializing in web privacy . google , like yahoo mail keeps trying to tell us what we want . aint happ ' nin ..
kaz , youre gonna burn your dam tree down .

102 in May, kazzaa. I figure she has a chance of making it to 105. Mother is getting more and more inappropriate at times - not swearing. - never in her life and I would know that there was another decline if she did that. Her delusions are worse and she shares them in public -like telling the church people about her sex glands being removed. That delusion is growing to all people over 100 having their sex glands removed to bring on dementia. It does sound like your mum is worse with the changes you mention. Your gut feelings may well be telling you something You are with her all the time and you will notice changes -even subconsciously. I know it is hard. I have gut feelings and I pay attention to them and often find out something has happened. Sometimes I think we get prepared. It has happened to me. ((((((hugs))))

Emjo you have to hand it to your mum what age is she now 105? Like WOW. Mums language is getting bad and in "public" what do you do? where do you look? shes having more tantrums. Shes having another brainscan in October too far away i think. With her diabetes its hard to tell what to expect shes sleeping alot and was a very light sleeper all her life. Shes going off food and everyday is something new she hates? Oh i just dont know anymore its so hard to determine whats going on with her. Wont go to doc hates carers etc........... thanks will look at website what is eating me up is this sick feeling i have that shes going to die soon? i dont know if anyone else ever feels like this? I had same gut feeling a week before dad died not that he was going to die but something bad was about to happen? i wonder if others experience this i usually have a good "gut" feeling about most things or maybe im just anxious and stressed?

Oh must go to bed my moggie is stretched out on the bed so damn cute!! thankgod for him hes a real comfort!!

vikki thanks for that. Mother's short term memory is very poor now, though there is some selectivity. I see that her judgement has declined over the last year or more, and probably her insight. With BPD she never had empathy in the first place. The PD complicates the picture as you know.

kazzaa - check out - the website for the Alzheimer's Society of Ireland. Second tab "About Dementia" , Stages and Progression. No stages as such but they tend to live about 5 years after the signs show. Some one who has had a stroke can go faster than someone with a general vascular problem, Mother has vascular dementia, but has not had any strokes that we are aware of, so she is declining more gradually. However, even in the last 4 months she is worse in terms of making sense. I think she has had it about 1 1/2 - 2 years.

Well i had an accident 5yrs ago and hit the right side of my head i had abit of memory loss not completely but when i went shopping i didnt know what i was doing there? only lasted a few wks though was told brian had swelled from the bang. So who the hell are you and what am i doing on here???? Oh off to bed crap on tv and im going to the "fairy tree" tomorrow to make a wish yep i write down my wishes then burn them at this tree supposed to be powerful stuff lets see?
I know youre peeing your pants laughing Cap but i do believe in this stuff us Irish are very superstisious its in the "blood".

1 2 3