Moving with family member who has dementia and incontinence. Any suggestions?

We are moving cross-country, and I am concerned about arranging sleeping arrangements until our furniture arrives. I can't pack many pads in a suitcase. The motel bed mattress may get wet if her disposable underpants get too saturated. Any suggestions?

15

Answers

Go on-line to search for a company in Canada.

They have EVERYTHING you will need to protect your furniture. They even have panties that are washable so you're not spending boo coi $$$ on adult diapers. They have councilors to help discuss the issues you are facing with this too.

Gooh luck....just went through this a few months ago.

Mane sure you have the proper products so you are able to control UTIs!!! Can cause hospitalization.
Reply to dkentz72

I think I figured out what I am going to do: I bought 2 of the flannel bedsheet protector sheets with rubber backing, from Amazon, and I will get a blue tarp to place under the flannel protector sheet (think I have one), just in case, and I also bought a box of the largest disposable bed pads (36" X 36") I could find (on Amazon and elsewhere). I will toss out the disposable bed pads every morning, until fully relocated, and wash and alternate the flannel protector sheet, if it gets wet. And the blue tarp will serve as the failsafe measure. I am also planning to buy a pair of plastic incontinence over-pants, to go over the disposable underpants, but I have to measure her first, according to their directions, in order to select the correct size. I also ordered disposable booster pads, to go inside the disposable underpants, for traveling and overnight use. Another suggestion I heard from my brother-in-law, is to put on a disposable adult diaper (with the tapes), underneath the disposable underpants. I don't know if she will lie still for me to put that on, but I do have some I picked up some time ago.

I hope I will have room to pack everything. I think I will pack 1 suitcase just with incontinence supplies.

Thanks for all your great suggestions. I really appreciate your input.
Reply to davero

If you are flying to your destination, perhaps you could arrange for a "mini-vacation" at a nearby care facility for your loved one until your furniture arrives. Long-term care homes and rehab facilities in our area offer respite care for a few days. Local hospice agencies should be aware of facilities that offer respite care, since hospice typically provides such short-term respite for home care-givers.
Reply to Agingmyself

Combination of other suggestions...if you have a pre-determined route, you can confirm with the establishments on the way to hold a package for you...then call HDIS (stands for Home Delivered Incontinence Supplies) to order and have them ship what you might need to be there when you get there. Maybe it will be a small order; maybe you will leave it behind if you don't need/use it. Also might be able to pack some in those space saving bags (but you might need a vacuum to suck the air back out once you open one).
Confused about the sleeping arrangement question...the name is escaping me right now, but they do sell the inflatable mattresses at Bed Bath and Beyond.
As others have noted, there are many products that exist that aren't always easily available/common, some more protective than others...HDIS has a good variety and can guide you...
Reply to gdaughter

The disposable under pads are usually available in the "depends" aisle. Even the "large" ones are only 36x36 inches. You will need several per night. I use two under the fitted sheet in the area she will be sleeping, overlapping by several inches. Also, I have heard of people using an incontinence pad inside of the brief. In this case, you may consider an "overnight" pad inside of a brief that has extra absorbency.
The bed protection may still allow the sheet to get wet, but at least it should protect the mattress pad and mattress.
For skin integrity, I would hesitate to use the pad/brief combo on an every night basis, but it should get you through this tough time.
Best of luck on your relocation. Things will get better when you are in a more convenient (closer) setting.
Reply to burdwatcher

That’s an easy one. Order some larger disposable pads for this trip. A while month’s worth can fit in a small carry-on size bag. For a quick fix if you don’t have time to order anything go by a pet store and buy a package or two of their largest doggy disposable training pads. They work exactly the same way. If you place it under the motel bed sheet it won’t tend to slide around at night.
Reply to BigjimM

Yes, try using disposable bed mats. They are large enough but flat to pack, and will put your mind at ease. No need for diapers then.
Reply to besticanbe

I also placed a large garbage bag, the "contractor" heavy plastic garbage bags under the top sheet before I got a waterproof mattress cover and that saved the mattress. And a plastic garbage bag is easy to pack.
I did get larger washable bed pad through Costco the brand is Conni and one pad holds like 80 ounces of fluid but with travel you do not want to be doing wash. The same company has washable liner pads for briefs or underwear as well.
If you are traveling by car just toss a box of briefs and pads in the car. If by plane then just buy a box when you arrive at your destination. Pack what you would need for a particular leg of you trip. Or UPS or Mail some to yourself to your final destination.
Reply to Grandma1954

Try to find Abena M3 or M4 underware for nightime use as they hold 3 times more fliud. They are pricy but a pack of 14 should get you there. I do like the disposable bed pads. Include 1 in your car seat

I travel with my wife who has younger onset Alzheimer's 53 as far as the hotel mattress I use bed pads. They can be purchased at any drug store i also discovered that if you put a pad inside of the disposable underwear you save on having to change the underwear
Reply to Bigmikepaint59