Moving my Mom and need new doctors. Any suggestions where to begin? - AgingCare.com

Moving my Mom and need new doctors. Any suggestions where to begin?

Moving her to Denver. My mom is 73 and has had a couple strokes over the past 7 years.. she is experiencing the beginning stages of dementia... walking is difficult and (i believe) she has become lazy and uninterested in improving due to having 24 home care for the last 8 months... she doesn't eat properly and rarely exercises... I honestly don't know where to begin once we get her home... when choosing a topic in the next section, about 7-10 things applied but my first step is to find her a doctor and order her a bed... we will be in the south Denver area.

18

Answers

If you are moving her from one state to another you will need to set up all her insurances and SS first. Go to Social Services or Dept of aging and see what she qualifies for. It will take time if you work full time as I do. Once that groundwork is done then check to see what MDs are on her plan. Go from there.

Here in my area vast majority of the doctors have electronic files... thus they can automatically email each other, instantly send files, instantly send x-rays, so there is communications between the primary doctor and the specialists.

And once one Dr was overseeing almost everything we were able to drop some med too.. this was a blessing . I like one dr knowing what is going on, instead of several trying to guess what the others are doing.. Both folks are doing well with this

pamzimmrrt, great idea, thank goodness some of my parent's doctors are the same that I have... back to back appointments means one less day off from work for me, and one less car ride :)

When I moved my folks in I set them up with our family Dr,who is a geriatric specialist as well. I had all thier records sent to him. He can handle almost all thier needs (diabetes, ALZ etc) we only needed to get an eye dr, cardiologist and podiatist ( cause I am NOT dealing with those toenails!) Boy oh boy did we get rid of alot of extra Dr apts, they were going somewhere every week! Life is much better without trying to fit Dr apts in with work, etc! And I make all our eye dr and dentist apts for the same time.. yeah for me!!!

Thank you all for the helpful information!!!

I would ask her current doctors if they can recommend someone of their own standing in the new city. You might get a former college classmate of that doctor, thus he/she will know that person quite well :)

If your mom has a social worker....contact them and tell them what you want to do. In my own personal experience, this is where I started. I moved my mom to my home after having her in the hospital, for 4 1/2 months, 5 hours away from my home. We were able to find the doctors, the hospital and was able to work with both her insurance and medicare. I was my mother's caregiver the last 3 years of her life and I would not trade having her near me so I knew that she would be taken care of. You will not regret taking the time to get your mom near you.

Your first step is contacting her insurance company and get a list of doctors in the new area. Since your mom is 73, she is probley on Medicare and should have a secondary insurance company. You will have to notify Medicare of her change of address, so ask for a list of doctors in her new area. When you notify her secondary insurance the change of address, do the same thing get a list of doctors. I have found that getting a primary doctor first is best. Then you can get referrals to any specialist.

When we moved my folks in with us I too had to find a new doctor in our area. They had been with their doctor for almost 20 years and were reluctant to change. I found a senior care practice at a local hospital. It is wonderful and totally geared to the specific health needs of seniors. It has made such a difference in the care they are receiving. What I thought was going to be a challenge has turned out to be a real blessing. Even their furniture is geared to ease of standing and sitting. Mom and Dad weren't very excited about seeing a new doctor, but his level of understanding of what they are facing won them over.