How do I move my elderly (84) hemiplegic/disabled Mom from Texas to Nevada and into a Income-qualified AL? - AgingCare.com

How do I move my elderly (84) hemiplegic/disabled Mom from Texas to Nevada and into a Income-qualified AL?

We need to move to Las Vegas, NV and do not want to leave my elderly/handicapped mother behind. I can't find an agency are anyone who can give me answers. She has been living independently with Sec 8 and a In-home caregiver about 30hrs a week. We are next door so if she falls we are nearby. It is now proving that a better for is an Assisted Living Facility. Her doctor readily agrees. Does anyone know an agency or how to get her a power chair and two cats to Nevada then establish residence to apply forensic aid to then get her into an Income-qualified Assisted Living Facility?

14

Answers

Thank you for the site: payingforseniorcare
It appears to be a wealth of information that I have not had time to check out yet. I will soon! My mother has Section 8 and I discovered that if you research the state you are moving to you can find information and forms to Port-in to that state. You must also contact the Housing Authority that you receive help from. They will guide you on their procedures to Port- out. This allows someone to not lose the Secion 8 benefits when they move to another state. Hopefully this will go smoothly.

Just found a website today that may be of use....payingforseniorcare.com. Apparently there are 2 types of state assistance for paying for AL in NV. There is also a lot of info for caregivers looking to be paid, a common question on this site.

Thank you all again for great answers. They all gave me valuable information that I am using. I am still looking at options but with your help some of the footwork is much easier.

Just an update....as of today Nevada is now 57,000 Medicaid applications behind....

Oops it posed too soon.
I hope to put my mother in her first choice for an ALF here and then when things settle in Vegas I will come back for her. I realize that she may have to live with for awhile especially because she has to establish residency before she can even apply. I am hoping once there an agency called SNCIL South Nevada Centers for Independent Living can help with the process.
I love Southwest and was planning on using them. Thanks for the insight.

Wow, all of your answers are truly wonderful, enlightening and helpfully. Thank for taking the time to reply. Clarification on the backlog going on with Medicaid explains a lot.
I am already looking locally in San Antonio for an ALF. She is ready now to make the change. That is big for her. She has had experience with one place and I ho

simly, if you move, it looks like she will be living with you for a long time until section 8 housing opens up. Maybe you should wait until you feel better, because if you hate where you are now, it's going to be really hard to do this. I have battled depression for many years, but I know happiness is not found by moving, it's not in another place. It has to be inside you first.

I'm not sure that there is a way to pay for AL if her income is low enough now to qualify for Sec. 8 housing. I haven't heard of income based.AL around here, not to say that there isn't any. If she can't live independently she may be able to have some assistance to stay in independent housing with some home aid help paid for by Medicaid. But getting Sec 8 housing may involve a lengthy wait. You establish residence by moving here and intending to live here. It will probably take months to get the Medicaid application processed. The state handles Medicaid here, not the county, and currently it has about 50,000 applications in the pipeline and more in front of hers by the time you get here. There is is a huge backlog and beyond the current capacity of the state to handle in the 45 days it is allowed to take. I think you need to rethink the plans you have for her because providing housing for her needs isn't going to work out the way you hope, IMO. You might try contacting the Clark County office of Aging office for more information. Physically getting here is probably the least of your worries.

Ah, well, we never did do it again...but you know Southwest flies to Vegas and the casinos are all accessible! No, the sad thing is Mom went down hill and actually had a stroke during her rehab stay and then an MI while trying to get adjusted to a new facility for post-acute...at one point I don't even think she remembered the trip. Mom was funny like that - she'd hardly ever do anything just for fun but once in a while something would tickle her. She liked meeting a guy friend of mine at a Kiwanis Pancake Festival I got her out to...I'd wanted to get her out to see the penguins at the zoo and we never did that. Who knows, she might have liked Vegas! We ended up settling for a few out-trips to Applebee's or a pizza place, and a little stroll around the garden at the hospice she ended up at just a year and a half later. Moral of the story is make memories while you can, whenever and wherever!

Brilliant post, VS - except for the "yippee let's do it again" bit! :)