A landscaper who usually charges $25 per cut, charged my elderly mother $80? - AgingCare.com

A landscaper who usually charges $25 per cut, charged my elderly mother $80?

He says its because she's not a regular client. I think it's an excessive rate, even if she's not a regular client. I think he is taking advantage of her because she his elderly. My mother was sheltered by my father and her mental state is declining. But, she insists that it's a good rate and won't look elsewhere. My mother is OCD about cleaning so what she thinks is a lot of leaves is actually a skimpy and very small amount of clean-up work to a normal person. This landscaper has barely any work to do and he is charging her way too much to do it.

Should I just let it go? It bothers me to see her taken advantage of this way.

34

Answers

1 3 4
When caring for a client I was observing her mobile manicurist taking her to another room to be paid. I was concerned. I alerted the family to look into their mother's checkbook and what a shock we found. An $85 service was paid for by check in the amount of $300. The family instructed me to be on my toes the next week to see if the manicurist took my client into another room to be paid. I had asked the manicurist what her fee is and she said, "It varies." I was instructed to ask her this by the family. I asked her what the range is for a manicure and pedicure and she said "$85 and up." The client was again asked to pay $300.
The family went to the salon where the manicurist was employed and reported her to the salon owner. The manicurist was asked to return the overage and she was reported to her State Board. It is very common for elders and those who are vulnerable to have their innocence exploited. We have to be their advocates and always challenge injustice. If the landscaper is asked to give you a quote for service and you get that quote in writing, all parties will be better off. I do agree that $52 is a fair rate for landscaping. Just know ahead of time what you are going to be paying for. You can always ask that the work be customized, minimized etc.

Well I hate to tell you all what organic farms use to fertilize the fields. I can remember the familiar smell of manure spreaders in cornfields in the Spring. So much for clean country air.

The same with all wildlife that parade through a garden that isn't fenced off.

Dog owners don't usually let their dogs poop on neighbor's lawns. We have strict leash laws in NYC and I've rarely seen loose dogs walking the streets in my neighborhood.The curb grass is not the property of the home owners--it's owned by the city. In fact, the city often owns part of people's front lawns and many owners aren't aware of that fact because the city hasn't had a reason to claim it..yet. The reason they do so is in case they ever have to widen the streets, they can claim the property to use--also if they have to fix the streets, they don't have to ask you if they want to pile materials on your curb grass.

Cat poop is as bad, if not worse than dog poop, especially if you are growing vegetables in your garden--it can get you sick.

Decades ago I owned a really rough tortie cat... oh my gosh, no one, and I mean no one would step foot on her property.... she would come out from the bushes all fluffed out, running side ways [cat owners know what I mean] and the dog and dog walker would quickly hi-tail it as fast as they could, never to return. Neighbors wanted to borrow her to help keep the dogs all their lawns.

Now if only we could have controlled that cat not to go after the UPS guy... [sigh]

In NYC, we expect dogs to poop by the curb. If you live in an apartment building, you have to let your dog poop on curb grass because the street is filled with cars and there isn't any lawn in the front or back for them to poop on. As long as people pick up the poop, I don't have a problem with it. Dog walkers are the eyes and ears of a neighborhood. Trust me, criminals hate dog walkers!

I could never understand why dog owners can't train their dogs to use their own lawn. Service dogs learn. One neighbor has a rescued dog and that dog actually goes on a walk, she has trouble keeping up with him... rarely does he stop to leave "messages" for other dogs.

By the way, there are people you can hire who only pick up dog poo in yards. God bless them. They deserve whatever they get paid.

No, the dog poo is not in my mother's yard. Her yard is immaculate. My father was an organic gardener. I was talking about dog poo by the curb and on curb grass in general. Not everyone picks up after their dogs. I don't use pesticides either and my dog goes for long walks but the curb grass is public turf and I can't control neighbors. But, if you read about leaf blowers you will be informed that they tend to blow up dog feces, pesticides, bacteria, mold and other things into the air. Plus, even if people pick up the poo, there still a bit of film that sticks to the grass.

CaregivingNYC, you said there was dog poo? That would explain the high price. My lawn guy insisted the dog poo be picked up or he would not mow. He did not want to have to hose down the machines before moving to the next job. Homeowners don't want you to show up reeking of someone else's dog poo.

1 3 4