After being diagnosed she was started on medication for Alzheimer's. Her condition has gotten worse. Memory loss and sometimes she is violent. There are children in the house. There are some good hours occasionally, with some lucidity. I realize there isn't a cure, but would like to make sure we are doing everything within our power. There isn't enough money for care outside the home.

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Find Care & Housing
I suggest having her seen by a doctor who specializes in and has a lot of experience with dementia. This might be a behavioral neurologist or a geriatric psychiatrist. Probably further tests will be done, and medications specifically to deal with the troublesome symptoms will be started, one at a time.

Personally I'd go for a neurologist or psychiatrist rather than a psychologist, but the important thing is the experience in treating dementia.
Helpful Answer (1)

Do you mean that your mother's PCP started her on the Alzheimers medication? What investigations were done first? Angel's reply is ideal, not just helpful; and you can ask the PCP to recommend specialists.
Helpful Answer (0)

You can take her to a geriactric psychologist who will prescribe medications to help with the anxiety (and therefore the violence). There are many medications that can help and it may take some time to find the right one.

Alternaticely you can place her outside the home...if she does not have enough money (no assets, etc.) you (or her financial POA) can apply for Medicaid for her and this would cover a skilled nursing home or memory care where she could get round the clock care from a larger, trained staff.

Helpful Answer (2)

This question has been closed for answers. Ask a New Question.
Ask a Question
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter