Mother's day is coming, more than likely my last time together with Mom. Any special ideas?

My mom is living at home with very advanced COPD.

17

Answers

Sorry this is such a hard time for you. I am not sure I have any good advice except whatever you do, to do it from your heart and take care of your self.

All good ideas. Make new memories for yourself by doing something nice for her and share old memories w/her. Anything you still need to know about her, your early childhood, family, ask NOW. Tell her how much she means to you. I lost my mom last July so this is my first Mother's Day without her and it is breaking my heart.

Alcohol generally NOT a good idea for seniors, most of whom are on meds.

Time is important. My Mom lives out-of-state, so I will call her on Mother's Day to talk with her and wish her a happy day. I am planning on flying up to see her in June.

Be sure and tell her you love her.

Mybe your question was more of an emotional one. I suggest treating it like a normal Mother's Day, leave the sense of finality out of the picture. But do get a picture, one for you, one for mom, of both of you. Get prettied up and either have brunch in with her favorite foods or views, and you. Mostly she will want you. My Dad enjoys the hummingbird feeder by the window.

Just want to reflect back this sentence from you Lizajayne: "I have been very blessed to have a wonderful mother, she knows how much I love and respect her, I'm sure what ever I do for her, she will feel loved." Anyone who can contemplate Mother's Day with those words in their heart and mind has much to celebrate AND the celebration is already there, already assured. With or without champagne I toast both of you! Not everyone has this.

Whatever is her favorite meal and desert- and family photos. I am making a CD and will hook up my computer to the big screen- photos will automatically keep running and I have added music from her generation.

My mom is on 16 different medications, I would never dare to serve her any drink that would react with the medications. She is home bound, in fact she only leaves her chair to potty. She is sleeping most all of the day and night. I was thinking about all of the wonderful ideas, your mothers are very lucky to have daughters like you all. I think I shall get a large blooming planter that hangs from the front of the window, this would be something that she would see when she is awake during the day. Most likely a home cooked meal to share with her, she eats very little now, but tries to make dad and I happy by eating what she can. I have been very blessed to have a wonderful mother, she knows how much I love and respect her, I'm sure what ever I do for her, she will feel loved. Thanks so much for your input. Lisa

If getting in the car isn't too stressful for her, I wholeheartedly agree with the ride down memory lane idea. If you don't live too far away, drive by her elementary school, high school, first house, someplace she and your dad dated, the neighborhood where she hung out as a teen.... The possibilities are endless and it's a physically undemanding way to do something that really feels like an adventure- covering a lot of ground and a lot of years.
You'll probably hear some old stories that might never have otherwise occurred to your mom to tell. Have somebody in the back seat (so it's not intrusive) writing them down or recording and, as others have suggested, take lots of pictures.