My mother will not bathe, she smells awful and has developed an infections. What can I do?

My mother has developed a yeast infection under her breast and onto her stomach. I am at my wits end. She will not wash up or bathe. She smells awful!! I have the anti fungal cream and powder, which she is using (not to brush her teeth I hope) Will not go to the doctors either.I cannot pick her up and carry her, what do I do? She does have moderate dementia. I have a glade plug in by her room. It helps, but am I risking my & my Grandkids health by her being unclean? Worried...and tired!

28

Answers

1 2 3
I'm in the same boat. My mother won't shower or bathe. Says she's scared of falling. Well then take a bath or ask me for help. It's not like she's 90 years old and unable too.She's 52 and works 40+ hours a week so she has the energy and strength to do it but she just won't anymore.When it comes to hygene she's just lazy and doesn't care anymore.We're going on day 20 without bathing but that's nothing.One time in the past she went 2 months with out taking one, it was like 65 days without bathing. She also stopped brushing her hair and just left it in a bun an stopped brushing it so now it's all matted together in a bun shape and doesn't need a hair tie that's how matted it is.It looks like a bird's nest it is gross looking. A little collection of everything that comes into contact with it and just sticks like linen,pieces of paper etc. When she goes into public she wears her work hat so she's embarrassed but she won't wash it to try and fix it. She also won't or doesn't brush her teeth ever. I understand some people forget every now and then but she doesn't forget she just doesn't brush her teeth. Last time I remember seeing her brush was over a year ago. I love her to death but this is a serious health issue and I can not take this anymore. This is affecting our relationship. Who do I contact or go about getting this problem taken care of?

Have you tried using something like "comfort personal cleaning Comfort Bath"? There are other brands, I'm sure but these are a lifesaver. The person doesn't have to take off their clothes, just use one cloth per body part. I know from personal experience I don't like feeling exposed and cold. With these, you come out smelling fresh and the body stays soft and CLEAN. They look like baby wipes but are bigger and do a much better job. I hope these will help your mother.

My husband has that old people smell and his blanket will smell absolutely terrible. After some research, we had decided to buy a specially designed Japanese persimmon soap, body wash, and shampoo by Mirai Clinical - miraiclinical.com will soon find out if it works. For his cloths, I found by adding baking soda, oxyclean, detergent, and Clorox will get the odor out of his clothes. I have also found that vinegar and ammonia will work too.

I'm a senior who hates baths and showers. Wouldn't bother me to go years and not have one. My family took care of this by getting me a product called "Comfort Bath" It's a package of personal cleansing washcloths that you warm up in the microwave and use each cloth for different parts of the body. No more fear of stepping into a shower or not being able to get out of the tub and they leave your skin really soft and smelling nice. I only have to take clothes off the body part that I'm washing.

Check on the internet or phone book and see where you can buy bath cloths. They are packages of wet cloths that you microwave. Usually a minute or two is all you need. Once your mother is naked, take a very warm cloth that is wet and wipe her down starting with the face. They are nice smelling and you won't need to clean up the water on the floor. Once she's wiped down, let her air dry and put clean clothes on her. They use them all the time in the hospitals for bed-ridden patients who get washed by aides. You can choose to dry shampoo her hair or let her lean back like in the salons if you have the right height chair. Otherwise, the dry shampoo works great. Also, many stores now carry the swivel stools that you can sit in the middle of the tub instead of the kitchen. Put a sprayer hose on the faucet and wet her down, soap her up and rinse her all over. It works and you don't have the floor to clean up. They are great but in some places are a little bit pricy. If her doctor writes a script for it, you may get reimbursement from Medicare. For my dad, we used a plastic $5 chair that we set in the tub. I would call my brother to come over every other day and bathe him for me. No sense in him missing out on all the fun!! Either way, you can do this easily and at little expense.

SA,

Thanks for the laugh. Poor Sean.

Mee123 - I couldn't agree with you more! I am new - about a week now - and until I came here I had no idea how common some of the awful things I am dealing with are. I truly felt alone. Bathing was a major issue - my mom went 3 years without a proper shower even though I tried home health nurses, and other interventions. She is now in a facility where a weekly shower is mandatory and next week is moving to a NH where she will hate having one twice a week - but she will have them! As clear by the number of 2015 post this is still a hot topic. I wish I had known about this site years ago. I'm sure this thread would have at a minimum provided me a measure of comfort - as I'm sure it is now doing that for others!

Spooky62's question may be an old post but is still relevant and on going problem that others continue to need answered. There are folks asking for help for 2015. The post may be old but the problem is new for each first time caregiver

cwillie I just noticed that too, but it came up as a new question yesterday....hmmmm, they need to fix this it has happened a few times, quite a waste of typing and re hashing especially if person is no longer a member!Oh well, hopefully it will help someone new...

my father hasnt bathed nor brushed his teeth in years and smells god awful. its very stressful hes 73... when you tell him he needs a bath he gets upsets and carries on so no one tells him. hes an embarrassment to my family no one wants to be around him, they talk behind his back how awful he smells. he doesnt wash after he uses the toilet quite disgusting if you ask me... he smells so bad i dont think a doctor would examine him in that condition. he smells like he pees and defecates in his clothes

1 2 3