My mom does eat or take her medicine. The doctor say's blood flow to her mind is low. I want my mother to eat and take medicines, what should I do? - AgingCare.com

My mom does eat or take her medicine. The doctor say's blood flow to her mind is low. I want my mother to eat and take medicines, what should I do?

I start aboard , my mom say at my native place (my father has passed away 10 yrs back) . My mom recently stop take food , and had dizzy feeling in morning . On checking with doc , he did MRI and told blood flow to brain is low , due which this is happening .
She was very cheerfull and strong lady , however recently she is staying quite , does not take medices or food and get angry if asked to take it . Thus my sister took her along to her place ..however she still behave same . I feel very hurt seeing her this way .
I want my mother to eat and take medices , what should i do .

1

Answer

This must be very painful for you and your sister to see your mother this way.

Does your mother seem to be confused? Does she have memory problems? Did the doctor mention dementia or any other condition associated with low blood flow to the brain?

There are several reasons that an elderly person may resist eating and taking pills. If you can figure out the reason, that may help you decide what to do.

1) It may be difficult to chew and/or to swallow.
2) The person may be paranoid, and think that someone is trying to poison them.
3) The person may be very depressed, think life is hopeless, and want to die.
4) The person may forget to eat, or think they have just eaten.

Can you or your sister have a calm talk with your mother (and perhaps the doctor) and try to find out why she isn't eating? Once you know that it might be easier to figure out what to do.

And please know that this is not your fault. It is a diffiuclt situation. It is very good that you and your sister are trying to help her.

• The varied health concerns of seniors can make it difficult for caregivers to know how to manage their elderly loved one's diet. An expert dispels 7 common myths about senior nutrition and offers advice for caregivers.
  • Specific vitamins can have a significant positive (or negative) impact on your health. Learn what each one does, how to spot a deficiency, and what foods you should add to your diet to make sure you're meeting your nutritional requirements.
  • A farmer's market is an affordable and innovative option for caregivers seeking to jump start their elderly loved one's (and their own) healthy eating habits.
  • Many popular warm-weather foods are nutritionally dense, offering the added bonus of helping a senior get the vitamins and nutrients they need to remain healthy.
  • I spend lots of computer time reading about new studies concerning health, seniors, and medicine. I occasionally get excited about something, but I have to remember: those studies are usually flawed... in many ways.
  • Learning how to eat wisely is crucial for aging adults and their caregivers. Discover the science behind why we crave unhealthy foods that are loaded with sugar and fat.
  • How to read food labels so elderly people with medical conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and osteoporosis eat a healthy diet.