Mother seems completely psychotic, screaming and delusional. Is this normal?

First off sometimes I feel like I have to deal with the worst of the dementia cases with my mother. I have even had doctors tell me they can not figure out my mothers behavior all the time. She has been kicked out of over 5 SNF and is now in a special ward of the hospital that specializes with dementia, psychosis, and other troubling mind disorders. My mother seems completely psychotic now and never was before this disease she was loving and completely normal. I am starting to feel like my mom is more psychotic then dementia like. She yells at the top of her lungs for minimal of 4 hours straight to which the caregivers give her an ambien to calm her down. She recently started having extreme delusions telling me the nurses are raping her (totally untrue), that the nurses are plotting to kill her, she told me that I need to make sure no one is following me out of the hospital as they are trying to kill me. She begs me to call the police. I tried reasoning with her to no avail so now I pretend to call the cops. What is going on? I am so lost to this behavior sometimes I wonder if it is something else has anyone had this expierence

26

Answers

1 2 3
Two things: (1) Was she recently put on an acid reflux medication, like Prevacid? Proton pump inhibitors can cause extreme aggression and delusion in the elderly. My mother was on Prevacid for about a month when all of sudden she did a 180 and completely freaked out - screaming for hours. She was very combative and delusional. She has vascular dementia but has never - ever - experienced this type of behavior. I revere engineered in my mind what changed, what happened all of sudden and it was then I remembered I put Mom on Prevacid temporarily as she was in-between doctors and the new doctor couldn't see her for one month. Out of the blue, she began belching so I wanted her to have some relief until the new doctor could see her. I found a clinical study on Google documenting the side effects of proton pump inhibitors in the elderly. I then immediately contacted our pharmacist who looked at his reference books and said this type of irrational behavior can happen in 1-2% of the elderly population - but this isn't listed on the back of the box. (2) If everything checks out medically, then ask if she can have lemon balm tea. I buy the tea off of Amazon. I use the Frontier Co-op brand. In Europe, this herb is used successfully to treat aggression and agitation in the dementia patients. I have Mom on this tea (two to three times a day) and it keeps her completely relaxed. My mother's caregiver says it's magic because she sees the night and day difference. Google "lemon balm and dementia" and "lemon balm and cognitive".

yea , feeling old . went to push the trike backwards out of the car hole earlier tonight and DID NOT have the strength to do it without a few tries . granted , the front tire could use some air -- but this aint right .
so i was phsycotic , screaming , and delusional .
well , not really , but ill say whatever it takes to defray from the fact that ive hijacked someones thread just for some cheap ( free ) entertainment ..
its free . whats not to love about that ?

lol,
coincidently , im listening to an alice cooper concert right now , ( raise the dead ) .
i saw the tour in hammond . hes doing a tribute to " my generation " ..
i can almost relate to dyin befor ' i git old ..
guess im saying , getting old aint the desired goal here . living very thoroughly might be more satisfying ..
who the h3ll ever expected to live THIS long ? ( wry smile ) ..

a couple of nights before the memo came out i was driving an army deuce and a half at dusk thru the town of heidleburg . a civilian clothed GI stepped out in front of my truck and was giving me ground guide hand signals . i was traveling at 55 mph , mind you , and pretty toasted on hash myself . i slowed and steered around the wildest eyed character ive ever seen , even to this day . so i went back to hanau with the great news . " heidleburg has got some bad s*it " .
why not cold war stories ?
its a distraction from incontenent crazy old people stories ..

Oh Captain, you are so bad!

Michelle, I'd also try to pull in a pharmacist who specializes in geriatric medications. Most doctors aren't schooled in how meds affect the elderly. They're usually more sensitive and have different reactions than younger patients. Good luck, it sounds like you've got some good avenues to investigate.

reminds me of my army days . no offense , i know youre heartbroken about your mothers condition . i would be too .
but . army stories must go on .
one time in 1978 the allied command in west germany had to send out a memo ;
" do not take the blue microdot " . " deaths HAVE occured " .
how humiliating for general lezynski . all us soldiers heard was " this s*it is GOOD " .. " whos got it ? " .
sorry . old man reminiscing ..

Methenamime is the UTI medicine. Exelon patch is to increase the chemical in the brain for nerve communication.

Also had mom on a probiotic which seemed to help with the diarrhea. Definately have that doc refer you to a urogynecologist or at the very least consult with one.

Gladimhere thank you for your help I really appreciate it. I find it rather funny that I'm going to take the doctor to school tomorrow.

1 2 3