Mother has been saying her doctor is going to give her a lethal shot. - AgingCare.com

Mother has been saying her doctor is going to give her a lethal shot.

My 89 year old mother has been at a rehab facility after a fall. She has been saying that her doctor who is NOT at this facility likes to give shots to people to kill them. I was talking to one of the staff today and apparently she told the person that her daughter(me) and son in law told the doctor to give her a shot to kill her. The nurse was appalled as I have been visiting everyday, not to mention that we have been helping her the last 5 years. Can someone please tell me what to do??

17

Answers

My mom says the darnedest things and has these fantastical delusions. I used to find them disturbing but I'm so used to them now I just go with it and actually ask mom to keep going, tell me more, etc. she goes on and on and then 10 min later snaps back into reality and doesn't remember anything.

I've learned to look at it as "a good read" lol.

I wish I could record some of them, they are that good!

try not to stress over them or try to figure them out or correct her. Just listen or change the subject, like "let's get a snack or ice cream"; let's take a walk, look at the lovely bird out the window...etc.

And, a couple of years ago, when Medicare was launching the reimbursement to physicians for having a discussion about "advance directives" they got mis-characterized by some folks as " death panels". I'm sure that's stuck in the back of some brains.

My mom's generation tended to think of death and dying as taboo subjects and especially with dementia on top of that, it is easy to see why bringing up the advance directives subject would have been disturbing and threatening to your mom and totally misinterpreted like that. If she does go back to psych maybe you can make sure they understand that this is not the purpose of the visit, they need to talk about how she is feeling what she is worrying about, and whether any medications would help her. I think it will be in your court as POA to try to intuit what she would really want in terms of advance directives or any limitations of future care.

Delerium can be a symptom of dementia. It does not cause dementia. It can also be the result of vertain medications, illnesses, or for some, exposure to a new and frightening environment.

My mom thinks everyone at her memory care facility wants to kill her - even residents in wheelchairs
Distracting her with a treat usually helps

Koko12, brother needs to come to town for a visit, while she is still in rehab. Maybe he should sit in on the Friday PT progress review at the facility. At least you might want to. My gut feeling is that she will not progress without keeping her focused on that. That's very hard to do with dementia.
A doctor asking about advanced directives and health care proxy, well he's either a really good planner or he suspects her time is short. Patients don't want to hear that, so they dump the doctor.

Well I spoke to someone at the facility today and they would not help me get a psych consult for her. They told me to go through her primary care physician but when she was there last time she got very upset because he spoke with her about directives and getting her affairs in order. Little does he know that she is accusing him of doing away with elderly. Also my brother has been calling her and screaming at her that she should not be in the house anymore. Allow me to say that he has seen her one week in the last 5 years and knows nothing about the situation and how much we do. He even went so far as to tell me we need to move out also. We are not living there for free. Pay our share plus all the extras. If not for me she would not be eating meals and getting meds

Delirium can be treated if the delirium is a side effect to an illness, surgery, or medication. If the delirium is part of dementia, it can come and go.

nasmir, try not to dwell on the dark side. Redirect to happier thoughts when the clouds begin to form overhead. It's part of healing. Been there. Done that.

One other thing. Since mom is in rehab, start thinking in terms of facility placement. It sounds as though she needs more specialized care than what she's jad previously.