My mother passed 7 months ago. I never received pay, I didn’t work because I had to leave my job to move in with her to care for her. Nobody else would help. Am I able to do anything about getting paid? It’s not in her will but now my siblings had my Mom’s estate attorney tell me they are deducting money from me for utilities as my mom had a provision in her will that I live in her condo free for 15 months to go thru everything and do as I see fit. Please help. I cannot pay for an attorney. I am totally broke after 2 years and 9 months caring for my mom. I did get SSD after living with her for a year as I almost had a nervous breakdown and could not function at my job I was doing and have medical issues that prevent me from doing any other jobs.

Don’t feel like you missed out ...I’ve been trying to get my mother on Medicaid so I could get paid w NY CDPAP program....however, I would have to be paid 5 months just to break even for paying down “surplus” Medicaid calls it...So Medicaid wants to make sure nobody but them comes out ahead...What a major waste of time to apply, get dr to fill out forms, etc never ending stress & aggravation
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to CaregiverL

My condolences on the loss of your mother.

What nitpickers you have for siblings!! Charging you for utilities when you have taken care of her for free and they aren't paying you? That's just wrong.

So you will be having to pay for your half of the utilities for 18 months, right?
(You lived with her 33 months minus 15 months living free in the condo (per her will)=18 months. She would be responsible for HER half every month so you would owe half of the utilities for 18 months. They can not take this money away from you (like out of your account) but I guess they could deduct it from any inheritance you would get.

I'm not sure what "to go through everything and do as I see fit" means. Did you sell a lot of your mom's belongings and your siblings want their share of the money?

It sounds like you would qualify for disability, given your physical and mental issues.
If you are ready to apply now, you can:
Complete your application online at
Call the toll-free telephone number 1-800-772-1213. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you can call us at TTY 1-800-325-0778.
Call or visit your local Social Security office.
Helpful Answer (0)
Reply to SueC1957

You could certainly present a bill to your mom’s estate. However, without a care contract (which should have been set up before you started caretaking), I don’t think you have a legal position.
Helpful Answer (2)
Reply to 97yroldmom

Subscribe to
Our Newsletter