My mother in a nursing home was given Tramadol and 2 1/2 hours later she was given Ativan. Isn't this too close together? - AgingCare.com

My mother in a nursing home was given Tramadol and 2 1/2 hours later she was given Ativan. Isn't this too close together?

My mom is in a nursing home on hospice. I have left strict instructions that I an to be notified if any meds different from her normal pills are given or if she falls, or is having any agitated or anxiety issues. I am at the home everyday for 3-4 hours. Usually in the morning. For the last two days she has been completely out of it. Just sleeping. Very hard to wake up. I discovered 2 nights ago the nurse gave her Tramadol at 6 pm them at 8:30 pm gave her Ativan. I was not notified about the agitation, not the meds given. I normally like the place and feel comfortable with the care she is getting. The hospice nurse was not notified either. I'm Worried that this may have gone on more than I know of. I love the day nurse but am worried about the evening nurse and what has been going on. Who should I speak to? Is it OK to get these meds this close together?

17

Answers

Ativan works well in some people, but for other it is agitating. Tramadol can also have uncomfortable physical and neurological side effects. It might be worth it to ask the dr to try other options.

Thinking of you debrisberg 💜

Watch out on the Tramadol. It can cause hallucinations in the elderly.

Well, got the nightly call again last night at 11:30. Mom was very agitated and confused. Mom called me twice during the evening. I thought she had gone to sleep because the calls ended. (She calls but doesn't put the phone to her ear do she can't hear you or talk to you. Guess she forgot how) She kept trying to get out of bed so they put her in her wheelchair at the nurses station. I told them to give her Ativan. They put her in her recliner with the foot rest up. She slept there but very restless. She falls frequently because she thinks she can still walk. When I left this afternoon she was confused and agitated not recognizing the room she had been in for 7 months. I asked the nurse to put the Ativan in with her evening pills. She's had Ativan 5 or of the last 7 days. I'm meeting with the hospice nurse tomorrow. Will ask her to put one in every evening. I'm trying to listen and keep her comfortable not necessarily lucid. I really need someone to help me see if she is in pain. When asked of course she says no. Sometimes I ask if she wants Tylenol for pain. Sometimes yes most times no. What a learning experience. Thank you all for your help. Sometimes just to listen so I and others can vent.

Dear Deb; I so very much hear you. We want our parents to be lucid until the end so that they can hear us say "I love you", but at the same time, we want them not to experience the pain and anxiety that often accompanies organ failure.

Be well, care for yourself and kiss your mom often. b

Thank you all for your understanding. I know she is dying and so does she. In Her lucid moments we discuss it. I do want her in no pain and comfortable. It's hard, very hard. I just want to be informed so I know what is going on not trying to guess. I really appreciate all your kind answers. Will definitely bring up at care plan meeting.

Excellent (about the care meeting, not your mom's health).

I hope the hospice people will be there to clarify what mom's meds are and when they should be given. And what the notification policy should be.

Accepting hospice means, if nothing else, that you accept that your LO is dying and that nothing curative can be done. It also means, in my mind, that you accept that treatment will be given to keep her calm. Yes, she's agitated, but we don't know why, so meds will be given.

It's a very tough place to be (I know, I'm there). Kiss her goodbye each time like it might be the last.

Barb, her kidneys are not functioning as they should. Liver enzymes also out of norm. She has frequent UTI s on antibiotic about every three weeks.

In response to Barb my first Care Plan meeting is scheduled for next week.

Is she still in kidney failure?