My mother has mild vascular dementia and has sleep issues. Any suggestions on what type of doctor we should see? - AgingCare.com

My mother has mild vascular dementia and has sleep issues. Any suggestions on what type of doctor we should see?

We are dealing with a possible sleep problem. Mom is 80 and does not sleep well. The hallucinations came on suddenly and have lasted 2 months. They usually occur after a nap or in the evening. Two ER trips and 3 doctor visits have not helped or distinctly tied this to the dementia. She is on no medication except Xanax when she is very upset. We are waiting for an appointment with a new neurologist. The current neurologist thought maybe she had a sleep disorder and was in a persistent sleep state, but he didn't order any tests or sleep studies. She cannot stay at home now because of the hallucinations and sleepwalking, and often does not know my father. Otherwise her memory and function is good. We feel very let down by her doctors. Any suggestions on what type of doctor to see?

30

Answers

1 2 3
When this happened to my 90 year old mom, the psychiatrist at the hospital added a medication to her regime that ended the bad dreams! Ask your mom's doctor about this possibility.

What great news! Let us know how it goes; I'm glad someone is finally listening to your concerns about your mom.

Thank you all. We had a visit with the most wonderful geriatric specialist today. Finally a doctor that listened. Very compassionate too. Scheduled MRI, MRA, Blood work, sleep study, neuropsychiatric exam. No matter the outcome, at least we are trying.

If her insurance will cover it, you might ask the neurologist for a referral for a neuropsychiatric exam. This is about 7 hours of testing by a neuropsychologist to get a real handle on the extent of and probable cause of dementia and recommendations for future treatment. This was extremely helpful in identifying my late husband's vascular dementia, which the neurologist thought for sure was alchoholic dementia because he drank a 6 pack per day. The psychologist said no, his symptoms pointed clearly to vascular dementia and mini-strokes too undefined to pick up on MRI. They then warned me that he was in danger of a major brain infarct within the next 3 years, so we moved to be closer to our families and he died of a major stroke 15 months later.

I want to make it quite clear that when I mentioned hormones I was totally clinical. Much investigation are under way on this subject relating to dysfunctional illnesses in women post menopause and future results might well alter the taboo aspect. Doctors find testosterone reduction in a womens body can be the cause of many diseases. It is obvious that younger active women do not experience the illnesses of old age I suggest if you are interested, check the literature. My comment is in line with the professional purpose of this column.

Melatonin. A natural solution without the side effects of all those horrible psych drugs. Recommended years ago by my mother's neurologist and works like a charm.

Dead on Arrival, Morphine has been a no no for me and I have always fought agains exactly what you have commented on. Your words are right on target.

My husband had sleep issues for years, after he was diagnosed with PK I found out sleep disorders are actually an early sign of PK. Finding the right Dr is the hardest part,we have tried several neurologists and geriatric Drs and none are too helpful. Just want to give drugs that actually cause worse side effects then the disease. When my husband was dealing with the his PK diagnosis, back pain and depression he told the Dr if he had a gun he would shoot himself and the Dr's replay was " I would do the same"
Good luck to you, I gave up on Drs just do what we have to do to and go to our regular PC dr when needed

My mom has some of the usual issues of aging, sleeping too much, not eating, moving things and she is sure it is someone else, general confusion, unhappy, anxiety, seeing people in her room, scared. She is 87. My aunt suggested that she may need potassium. You get this from bananas, potatoes and beans. Started giving her mashed potatoes helped her immensely.

Thanks so much everyone!

1 2 3