My mother is 78, mentally unstable and homeless because she is hateful. How can I save myself from financial ruin?

Asked by

She cashed out all her annuities 2 years ago and gave them to my 20 year old son to buy himself a house (which is in his and my names ). Then she moved in with me 17 months ago. She gave me her house which I put into my name and rent out to a family. After she moved in with my husband and I she turned our lives into a living nightmare. She is so full of hate she would go on day after day about all the people she hated and why. I came to realize she was kinda crazy. She also consumed a lot of alcohol. She is from another country and does not speak good English. Any way she left my house and went to a homeless shelter because she hated my husband. (Not abuse). She has been there a few months and REFUSES TO COME HOME. No othe relatives want her. The homeless shelter wants to get her in state foster care. What can I do to save myself from financial ruin. Can the state take the house that she gave me 17 months ago?

Answers 1 to 4 of 4
If your mother becomes a ward of the state they may come after both you and your son. She will probably be put into medicaid pending, and the 5 year look back may apply. How did she "give you her house"? If she has dementia or another mental illness this gifting may be seen as an attempt to hide assessts. It is too bad no one thought to put her annuites into a fund for her future care... Or perhaps you could take the rent money from the house you are renting out into a fund for her care? The fact that she speaks poor english will not negate this. I would talk to the lawyer who handled the transfers and see what they say.
Def talk to a lawyer. Government involvement is not a great idea except as a very last, very difficult to undo option.

If it were me I'd take equity from the house and your son's house and buy or rent for her a one bedroom place in a community where people speak her language.
I'd consult with an attorney before taking any action. I'd explore any state benefits that she may be entitled to. Some states have shorter lookback periods for the transfer of assets. Some have 3 year look back. Plus, ask about it really works. I'm not sure how the term going after you fits in. Generally, they may not provide credit for sums they deem gifted. It's quite complicated and I would rely on a professional opinion and not just what lay people think, since each state is different.
Thank you for the good advice everyone

Share your answer

Please enter your Answer

Ask a Question

Reach thousands of elder care experts and family caregivers
Get answers in 10 minutes or less
Receive personalized caregiving advice and support