Will my Mother lose Medicaid if I claim her as a dependent?

Hi, My mother is 66 and my father is disabled. My mother and father care for my child and live with my husband and I. I have always claimed my father who receives Medicaid and Medicare due to disability, my mother was recently made a citizen and I'm not sure if I can claim her if she ends up receiving Medicaid. I pay for everything they need but will not be able to afford insurance which came out to be over $600.

17

Answers

Why are you asking this if you already claim your dad?

This Question of Mother - New Citizen who may lose Medicaid if claimed as US Citizen as an IRS Dependent is really sticky.., The Answer may have to come from an Accountant. Be Careful.., You might get an IRS suit if you don't seek professional opinion. Here's the difficulty.., To Claim Mother you have to provide over 51% of her care.., That amount is constituted from Financial Factors, such as how expensive is it where she lives.., If she lives with you in a $200,000 home then her "fair share cost of living is determined by all expenses."
Now that we have established Living Expenses.., the MedicAid Guidelines may include that in her budget as "GIFT INCOME" and Disqualify her..,
FINAL ADVICE - Seek Professional Help before IRS and Welfare Fraud come knocking at Door !

Jessica,

You can call the Department of Social Services and Human Services in your area to ask that question. The is the possibility that things may have changed in the last few years. All you need to do is tell them what you need to know. You don't have to give anymore than your first name. Someone will help you.

Google it.. There's lots of legal information on line..

I was sure wondering about that; thanks

Army retired: As long as the wife is a permanent resident, she can collect on her husband's Medicare benefits at age 65. That's the law.

Did your mother get citizenship just so she could qualify for medicaid?

If your father is on disability, then he should be receiving some sort of disability benefits and/or social security. If he is on Medicare and Medicaid, then he should not need additional insurance. If your father got more than $4,000 in 2015 in disability benefits or social security, you cannot claim him as a dependent. Same thing goes for your mother.

I have never heard of a Medicare Advantage plan costing $600. If your mother is over 65, she will get Medicare. She will get Medicaid if she falls below the poverty level.

If either of your parents worked and paid into social security, they should get a monthly social security payment. You have to pay into social security to receive it. Same thing goes for Medicare----you had to have worked and paid into Medicare for 40 quarters to be eligible to receive it. It sounds like your father did work for the required amount of time & contributed into the Medicare program if he is receiving it. Did you mother do the same? If she didn't, how did they live before? What did she do for health insurance? Has she lived in the U.S. for at least 5 years before becoming a citizen?

Jessica, where is your $600 amount for her insurance coming from? son just got insurance again for at least he and dil - raising my question, though they had insurance before and this didn't seem to come up re their daughter's Medicaid, though not sure how this works because I thought family coverage was family coverage and would cover her, though might not work the same with mom, but thought it applied to any dependent

but she says she's paying for everything, so might that make a difference? but I'm glad you brought that up b/c I somewhat forgot about that; I was there, not when she applied for Medicaid - she filled out that app and mailed it in - but when applied for something else and I think it, so probably both, asked the dependent question, and I think maybe you're right, that she listed herself as her own household with no income, but think somewhat of their thought is, that without her, as his income has gone up - again, think we're back to where we were at this time last year - that, without her, they're $25 away from losing the Medicaid on their daughter but that raises another question for Jessica - separate comment