My Mother is bored needs activities. Any ideas?

is there programs for elderly? dancing? Music? book club? She's capable of caring for herself.

16

Answers

Most communities have a Senior Center. Activities vary from coffee and cookies to classes to day trips to movies etc etc.

If a solitary activity is a possibility, and boredom and/or feeling useless is a problem, I wrote a post on Saturday about indoor gardening--easy-care plants, dish gardens and terrariums (helpparentsagewell.com). Horticulture therapy is a legitimate college major. While we can't do therapy, feelings of responsibility and being needed are triggered by tending plants, which also are fun to watch grow and often bring feelings of pride to the grower. Hope this is helpful.

some plain not some play^^^^^

I am now officially sad.. Christmas is round the corner (like you couldn't have known)..my kids ring me and sing holidays are coming down the phone to annoy me! in a humorous way that is. SO today, because Mum needed distracting from endlessly asking me when we were moving, I made popcorn red and green and then some play which I sprayed with gold food colourant. We now have a ten foot garland of popcorn - and she's thoroughly enjoying herself. She has also made some Christmas tree ornaments...well sort of ornaments. I cut some thick card into star shapes gave her the glue and the glitter and sat her on a chair on a huge piece of plastic we now have glittering stars for the tree or I might hang them on some ribbon. Despite my best efforts i also have glitter everywhere - never mind eh! Tomorrow is baubles. I have bought some very very cheap ping pong balls and threaded a thin ribbon through them so tomorrow she is going to glitz those up too. My daughter is bringing me some pine cones so I will get her to do something with those too. And the real bonus ? she has stopped asking me about the move

Knitting, reading, church, crocheting, gardening, etc.

A lot of times, when people are bored, what they're longing for is good friendships and good conversation. Could you contact family member or old friends you've lost touch with and schedule a lunch, shopping, or movie?

Perhaps your mom might enjoy a relaxing at-home solo activity of coloring. This activity is now BIG for adults, very relaxing and very inexpensive. There are a variety of subject examples--I was recently gifted a booklet of paisley designs and truly enjoy it. Just another option.

Church activities, volunteering with a not for profit, Facebook to keep up with the relatives, bookstores often have Meet the Author times and book readings, animal shelters often need volunteers even if all they do is play with the animals or pet kittens, "clothing closets" need people to sort donated clothing, thrift stores are often staffed by volunteers, many churches offer a "seniors group" or other outings/offerings for seniors, etc.

How how long has she been "bored"? If she has talked about being bored for a decade or more it might not be about a lack of activities available to her. It could be her personality, it could be a sign of depression, it could be related to a different medical condition, it could just be a habit, etc.

Or by the caregiver Dave - grins, My mum would have me in her church every Sunday and to their activities during the week - I will take her but I am not going in - aint ever gonna happen

InHome Activities for Carers mainzone
note:
Activities for Caregivers and AD Clients should be considered as a part of a complete care program unless they are objected to by the client.