My MIL's in the hospital and my SIL and FIL are staying with her 24/7. They say the Dr says she needs someone 24/7 to keep her in bed. What?

That does not seem right to me. I have never heard of having to have someone with a patient in a hospital around the clock.

32

Answers

1 2 3 4
you don;t pay for the sitter,, your insurance or the hospital should

Wow, my SIL was two weeks ago and they used restraints. She had previously ripped out a central line so they had no choice..they've used restraints these last 3 months...when she's altered with ammonia levels too high, there's no choice...she broke the telemetry monitor bashing it against the bed rails. At home I use the rails and contour the hospital bed at night so she won't kill herself before I can get to her. When her ammonia levels are normal rails are down. She never remembers these episodes...she's too out of it...at hospital she would kick and try to bite people but they never put restraints until she tried to hurt herself.

If they are ripping out the leads and lines you either stay with them or you pay for an aide to stay with them. Or you medicate them a LOT. Restraints and rails are no longer used, they are" inhumane". Even medicating them is now frowned on as being abusive. I feel bad for the nurses.

I had a similar experience to Hans'. Several years ago, before my mom was dxed with dementia, she was hospitalized for extremely high bp with no apparent reason. Because she was demonstrating intermittent seizure - like symptoms, he ordered a three day eeg. Mom became delusional, tried to escape. The posted an aide in her room 24/7 so that she wouldn't escape, hurt herself or rip off the leads.

When my SIL was in county hospital, they had 2:1 sitters, so one was outside her and another persons room 24/7. She was alterd so they watched her round the clock, helped her to bed and at times she had to be restrained for her own safety

If you can't be there and she needs a sitter, the hospital can provide one. I know ours does...

Sharon, I'm curious: Why does this bother you?

When my MIL was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer, my husband and I split the duty to be with her at the hospital 24/7. She wanted him there to run interference with the medical staff, especially doctors, and she wanted me at night for comfort and companionship. She told me that one of her first nights in the hospital she woke up in horrible pain at 3 AM. She rang for the nurse, and they responded via intercom, but nobody ever came to her room. She laid there in pain for hours, calling for a nurse who never came. The next day she asked me if I would please come and be with her at night. She said that was when she was alone, and felt afraid. She also had a lot of pain at night, and wanted me there to get the nurse if she needed one.

My BIL and his wife were very angry that we were with Mom 24/7 (although they were welcome to be there too, they just didn't want to.) They kept telling me to go back home (1,000 miles away) and leave Mom alone because the nurses would take care of her.

Toward the end when we took Mom to her home with hospice help, my hubby and I continued the 24/7 routine; him days, me nights. The medical staff at the hospital said they knew we wouldn't have any trouble, because they had watched us with her and knew we could handle it. Not so much my BIL and his wife... I was so grateful to have had that time with Mom when she finally passed. It was hard, but it was priceless.

She gets confused, but has not been officially diagnosed with dementia. She isn't trying to get up and leave or anything like that. She's far too weak for that. I just have so many ups and downs and generally feel quite alone and overwhelmed.

CheshireCat, does your mother need 24 hour observation? Does she have dementia? The hospital can provide someone to observe her, at a cost, of course. Do not feel guilty that you cannot provide this.

My mother is in the hospital now and I am the only one in town. I have a full time, demanding job and a 4 year old at home. It's completely impossible to be there 24/7. I just can't imagine being able to do that.

1 2 3 4