My MIL (74) will repeat what other people say 15 minutes after they say it. Any advice? - AgingCare.com

My MIL (74) will repeat what other people say 15 minutes after they say it. Any advice?

It's as if she is telling it for the first time. My husband told her that he talked to a co worker about a specific restaurant and they liked it. 15 minutes later she told us the exact same thing my husband just said, we new she was lying, she does this all the time. repeating what me or my husband says.

17

Answers

This is not normal behavior and I am surprised it's happening this young. Get her seen by a psychiatrist STAT!

She has "echolalia" which is repeating what is said previously. In dementia, one can repeat the question or answer because they have truly forgotten the answer. This is the nature of the disease, and you must have patience, patience and more patience. When it gets too bad, distract her, or you leave. But, do not ever blame a person for repeating...

My mom with mid-stage dementia does the same thing. It is impossible at the stage to have any kind of normal conversation with her. I've interpreted (right or wrong) this as her attempt at communication. We try to fill in the blanks and turn her repeated responses into a running dialog for a few minutes. She seems to appreciate the effort. Yes it is irritating, but try to realize how terrible it must be for someone to lose the ability of self expression.

Everyone is different and at the same time, similar! Not easy no matter what. God bless and best of luck.

Smile and nod. And have her evaluated for meds to ease agitation. She's probably as uncomfortable with this as you are but can't help herself.

Today Mom wants to get her hair done,,, just a trim and then go food shopping She is 93 and falls a lot says she'll be ok,, but if she falls I get blamed by her and everybody else saying why did you take her,,, I'll take her to her hairdresser but the food store sucks she bangs into everything,,, Keeps telling everybody wish this cart had a horn , One day I couldn't find her she went down the frozen food row somehow got in the ice cream door Scared the daylights out of me but I'll try

All I can say is Amen to irishspirit25

Again thanks for all your answer some of them work some don't,,,

My own mother has a history of narcissistic behavior, she is dramatic and I suspect has ADD. Now that she is 80, probably mix in some dementia. I have seen her be later sharp when something is of interest to her, i.e., puts her in the spotlight or is a subject she wants to hear about. Otherwise, it's in one ear and out the other. The thing is, it has ALWAYS been this way with her, although my theory is this - "as we get older we become 'more' of ourselves". She is more self centered, more nasty, more conniving, and more forgetful (if that's what it is). She has always carefully chosen her moments and 'victims' which says to me she has enough cognitive ability to pick and choose. Probably 16 years ago my brother nd his wife came back from a cruise and were attending a party which my parents also attended. My brother and SIL had been on many cruises and lived in my parents neighborhood and saw each other not infrequently. In other words, my mother knew they liked to take cruises and did regularly. Within fifteen minutes of being in on a discussion about their cruise, my mother asked my sister in law if she had ever BEEN on a cruise. My mother is also a person who will call someone up, spend fifteen minutes talking about something or someone she wants to talk about and then say "well, I gotta go!" and that's it. She pulls this no matter what the person she has called is going through - recent child born, a divorce, money issues, illness, death of someone close to them. She simply does not care if it doesn't directly affect her. I guess my point here is that if this is new behavior for your MIL, that's one thing. I would look at her over all personality and how she normally is with other people. Also her hearing might be an issue, if she only catches snippets of conversations. Hearing loss is a very embarrassing thing for some reason to some elderly people.

How about picking your battles?

I'm guessing your mom-in-law has little to talk about. What's the harm?