My MIL needs someone to be with her during the day while she is on a new course of meds. Any advice on hourly rate? - AgingCare.com

My MIL needs someone to be with her during the day while she is on a new course of meds. Any advice on hourly rate?

She is fully capable of taking care of herself. Dr. just wants someone there incase of drug reaction.

16

Answers

I got $20 per hour when I did it.

Celticlass. Thanks for the idea!
pstegman: Yes, that's right.

We got a student nurse for $10 an hour. The advantage is she doesn't get scared off with changes in status. You could advertise (we put up flyers) with the local colleges.

The FDA just approved OLYSIO and SOVALDI , that improve the effectiveness of Ribavirin and Interferon when all three are taken together. My BIL did the R&I treatment for early stage Hep C and felt tired and achy on the meds. It did however, eradicate the Hep C from detectable levels. Any antiviral will give you some side effects.

Norestforweary, This is a new drug which was just ok'd by the FDA in December. It is a combination of meds for Hepatitis C. Basically it kills the virus in the body. This will slow down or stop the eventual destruction of the Liver that Hep C causes. The liver will regenerate. Although my MIL's is past that point. This drug could be life saver for many, many people out there with Hep C. In my MIL's case ( she is in final stages) it might prolong her life and should she have problems with bleeding (either from a fall or something else) Her blood would no longer be contagious.

Just in case you have never put a pencil to the cost for sitters.....if you pay an agency for 24 hours a day at $16 per hour, 365 days a year, the cost is a staggering $140,160. You can negotiate $240 a day but the cost is still outrageous. The average person doesn't have that kind of money. It's sad. Do what you have to do to make it work for you.

would you be able to share the name of the medication? Would love to read about it thanks! Good luck with everything!

Up here in Alaska the hourly rate is typically $20 hr. OOOOUUUUCCCCHHHH! about $1000.00 per week, thank goodness we are passed that now and only need 2 or 3 hrs a day! I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you Lord!

Thanks, everyone. The drugs have arrived and a nurse is scheduled to give us all a class. I still am working on getting someone but your responses have helped.

Oh, she can't pay for this because there is no money in her accounts or my BIL's who she lives with. He was laid off for 2 years and is finally working a job for minimum wage. Her social security basically pays for their food and maybe the water. My husband and I are the only ones in the family that aren't treading water….mainly because I have one full time job and then also work one night a week at another. This is the reason for hiring the friend until I can get some assistance help for them.

My Mom is 94 and often forgets to use her call device in the assisted living facility. She had a fall about 2 weeks ago but is OK, thank God! The help cannot be watching her 24 hours.