Mother in law (83) hears music when there is none. Calls husband to come and listen, there is no music. Is it dementia? - AgingCare.com

Mother in law (83) hears music when there is none. Calls husband to come and listen, there is no music. Is it dementia?

Could this be dementia starting? She is not hard of hearing. Any suggestions

21

Answers

1 3
My mother always hears 'Oh Tannenbaum.'. It was her favorite song when she was a little girl. Of course, it's never playing, but I just act like I can hear it, too, because she seems to enjoy it.

My 89 year old mother has serious hearing loss. The audiologist has said that when the ears / mind are not hearing things that the mind fills that void with other things - in my mom's case it is music. She will ask my son about the music he is playing (he isn't) and she thinks the neighbors play music she listened to 60 years ago. She will go around the house singing along to the tunes she thinks they are all playing. It makes her happy and so I do not tell her she is just hearing things - that would just bring her mood down.

pam got it right -- prob'ly. thalamic brainfarcts..
i hear pink floyd right now and the dam stereo aint even on ..

Those elves and pixies, they can be mischievous! :)

When my dad first came to stay with us a little over a year ago, he kept hearing someone singing outside his bedroom window at night. He said they were singing old Irish and Italian songs he knew from his childhood. I reassured him that no one was singing and it gradually went away. His PCP did not think it was anything to worry about. He does not have any dementia.

Some people are blessed to hear the music of the spheres, as described by Pythagoras, the ancient Greek philosopher. ohmoondance understands!

Does she wear a hearing aide? Does the music wake her up? I am asking bc my Dad went thru this but only at night and it was so real, he accused the neighbors of playing music and waking him up. His solution was to wear his hearing aide to bed. It is phantom music but very real to them.

My MIL also started hearing music occasionally. Just about that time I heard a news report, which was about just this topic. The explanation was that sometimes, when someone's auditory stimulation declines, their brains will "fill in the blanks" with music.

my 87yr old mother is fairly sharp for her age,but she hears people talking downstairs at night, hears doorbells ,sees people and says it seems very real although she knows that it is not. she tells the 'ghosts' to go away and they do.

JAW b40, I have tinnitus, but hear annoying rushing air and ringing instead of music. I would much rather have the music. Would the Lipoflavonoids work for me?

1 3