MIL has given away valuables. Is this normal?

In recent weeks her two other children have come to visit her for a few hours each. These are the children who rarely call and their visits are even rarer. They have done nothing at all to aid in her care for the last 9 years.

My husbands mother made out a short 'will' a few years back saying that my hubby gets her 'worldly possessions' after she is gone. Problem is - all the family heirlooms are now gone. We didn't even notice until recently.

She didn't have much since her parents lost most of their possessions to fire and floods. But there were a few items like her sisters Blue Willow dinnerware, some 'ruby' glasses and some antique dishes and 3 gold pocket watches belonging to my husbands grandfather and uncles. Also about $20 face value in Silver Dollars dating from 1800's to about 1920.

All of these things are now gone. She has given us nothing in the way of dishes or family mementos.

One of her granddaughters (who has never - and i do mean NEVER - called, written or visited her before) came along and for this token visit she received the set of Blue Willow dinnerware. I just sat there stunned while they packed it all up and left.

We are hurt by this - not so much for the value - because other than the gold pockets watches that probably were valuable - it was mostly sentimental value. But now it's all gone. Her china closet is basically empty.

It may not even have been her children who got the rest. She gets visitors from church, etc. Maybe she gave things to them? I know she did this a couple years ago when some friends stopped in.

IS THIS NORMAL? Of course, it matters very little now. But we are wondering if my hubby should mention this to his mother or DOCUMENT that the things are gone and that SHE disposed of them and not us?

This just seems par for the course I guess.

15

Answers

I am hoping that in time I can forgot the last 10+ years of her life and remember how it used to be. That would be a true blessing.

She was a fabulous cook! Made wonderful breads and rolls and pies. Made creme filled cupcakes that would make your eyes roll back into your head!

She was a great seamstress. Even made little shirts and suits for her boys.

She was a much better housekeeper than I am. :0)

She gardened and canned hundreds of quarts of veggies and shared them with family. She was a much different person when younger than now. Guess that will happen to us all. She is just a miserable negative person now. Nothing like she used to be 50 years ago when I first joined the family.

Sadly. I pray that I don't become hateful, resentful and miserable IF I live to be 90.

Thank you for allowing me to share some nicer memories of my MIL. How easy to forgot those when struggling with the present.

The saddest part is that all she is remembered for are her property. Even by an oldcodger2... Tell us something good about her life if you could.

As an update - we fully expect that nothing will be left when my MIL passes on. It matters very little to us. We are well beyond caring about what little she has left. Just a few pieces of glassware. Some old clothes. Actually, I don't think I want anything she has - would just bring back memories I would rather forget.

Told Hubs that if our kids don't want any of what's left of Grandma'sr things that they will be donated.

I am a firm believer in 'what goes around, comes around' and we will leave it at that. I do feel that we have a Creator who will be our judge. That is sufficient. He will repay. Thanks for all your responses.

It seems there is nothing like parents dying to turn normal people into crazy idiots. So much is never fair and many times there is nothing you can do about it. Until that person actually DIES their belongings to belong to them. I would strongly suggest that if there is ANYTHING you want, you take it now for safe keeping, or you will have nothing!

What I will do right is gain my knowledge through the members of AC! Unfortunately a lot of wrong had to happen so I could receive this knowledge and wisdom!

Jinx, I think it's a Chasidic commentary that tells us that what happens on the Day of Judgement is that you gain perfect understanding of what you did right, and of what you did wrong, and that is heaven and hell. I'm not sure if I find it a comforting notion or not..!

I hope other members of AC are reading this and learn unfortunately through your loses... Seek legal advice early, before siblings get their dirty paws on your loved ones estate...

I would ask how they can live with themselves, but you know they sleep just fine. Almost makes me wish I believed in Hell, but I don't.

Kippee - I am SURE that she willingly went along with it - the sibling who got the POA - which she later revoked - is the 'successful' sibling and she said she wanted her kids to have it and legally they are free and clear with the 5 year look back.

An attorney did say that what the Sib. did was possibly a class I felony but the statue of limitations has run out and we don't care enough about the money to stir up THAT kind of trouble in the family. THEY have to live with what they did and continue to do. So do we. We can sleep. But, yes, it is a poke in the eye.

We intend to document where it all went and have her sign, date and notarize it. Ya gotta love the FAM, right?

There may be some Elder Exploitation here. Maybe you should call Area on Aging or Police to see if you need to file something.