Latest thing my mother-in-law is doing is fondling herself?

We have cameras installed to keep an eye on MIL with advanced dementia. We live with her. Latest thing is fondling with her breasts/chest once we put her to bed. She's been quite tactile while awake during the day, smoothing tissue, sheets, paper, blankets, clothing, you name it. This new thing obviously isn't hurting anyone, but wondered if others have seen this stage. Cameras are wonderful, by the way ... my husband caught her unscrewing lightbulb other day ... "Trying to turn it on" she said ...eeekk!

16

Answers

Been caregiving for 11+ years .... people use cameras to watch babies, dogs, why not elderly? It gives us peace of mind, making sure she doesn't fall, or if she did, what exactly happened since you can rewind/review. Beats following her around like a puppy dog! Other family members using them too for their parents. Too bad can't put in nursing/assisted living homes ... you'd be appalled at the lack of care ... imagine the lawsuits! Please don't judge people unless you walk in their shoes.

Yeah a bit intrusive with cams but I guess

Only looking for helpful comments here and no judgment; sorry if this makes anyone uncomfortable. Definitely not getting any cheap thrills with this job.

I feel like a voyeur just reading this thread, sheesh give the woman a little privacy, is it really necessary to watch her so closely?

What anyone does in their own bed is none of your business

I think I'll be more concerned if she starts to do this out in the kitchen during the day. She does start to undress herself sometimes.

She hasn't worn a bra for several years, but does wear a camisole during the day. We've been checking in on her via cameras for several months and this is just new behavior. Great tool, btw, has given us some of our life back (like watching a movie together in another room ... It's the little things). I like the Teddy bear idea, thank you!

Jeanne, nothing wrong with it at all. I just know that teddy bears and soft blankets make little kids happy. And fur coats too.

Pam, why? What is wrong with fondling herself in her own bed?

Linda33, I have the same exact book you put as your avatar!!! Title: "Creating Moments of Joy". ISBN-13: 978-1-55753-462-0
Author: Jolene Brackey, from which I will quote: "Experience is your best teacher".

M88