My Mother has Vascular Dementia and is now having trouble sleeping at night. Any advice?

My Mother has Vascular Dementia and is now having trouble sleeping at night. She goes to bed 8:00-9:00 p.m. then wakes up every few hours and is so tired a sleepy during the day. Anyone have anything similar. Night time sleeping pills would not be an option since she has had so many terrible reactions to sedating med's. I can tell this slowly wearing her down. Keeps her from eating since she only wants to nap during the day. HELP!!!!

2

Answers

I use melatonin right after dinner and it helps my mother sleep through the night. It may take a few nights before it starts working, but it may also cause a slight sleep hang-over. The down side is worth the night's sleep. I tried Valerian and Mother had vivid nightmares and sleep-walked. Both are available at the health food stores.

I don't have dementia but when I go to bed before 10 pm, I don't sleep well. Turning down the temp at night helps me sleep. Turning off the TV or computer, winding down with a book or music, and minimizing naps during the day also helps. It helps to have a regular schedule and get some exercise during the day.