My mother has been denied of any home health care. Can this really be true?

I spoke with a Social Services Counselor in the area hospital and she said family or herself must pay.

15

Answers

If she needs an aid to be around to help with daily living....there is no free help if the elder can pay for it themselves.

Medicare will pay for a nurse (an hour only every few days) or therapy (again, an hour only) if the Doc certifies her as home-bound.

Once the elder has total assets less than $2000 and income below $2000 monthly, then some in home help (very limited) can be had from Medicaid. OR move to a nursing home.

But...in home aide.....only if your mom can pay for it.

Next time someone tells you there is free help...get from them to give you detailed specifics....they will not have any because this is an urban myth.

Whether she is eligible for home care depends on her diagnosis. Her PCP can order home care from a certified home care agency if he feels she needs it but the visits are about 1-2 week for 1 hr per each discipline which would amount to 4 hrs per week.  She may need nursing & therapy but if she recovered enough to be discharged home and not to a rehab center first, her doctors may not feel she needs it for too long, as you had said two weeks, which in my experience is probably sufficient for a diagnosis of pneumonia.  
Otherwise you can hire CNA's from an agency like Visiting Angels that would be private pay to stay with her while you start your new job for peace of mind. I would go that route as she would then spend her money on care givers which would be credited as a valid expense during her spend down if she may need Medicaid in the future and you would be able to concentrate and more comfortable leaving to go to work. From the sound of it her needs may be temporary.  

So picture this--if you saw a sign, "free help for the aged offered," would you expect it to be true? No, of course not. Anything that seems too good to be true as the saying goes generally is. So, yes, you are going to have to pay.

Call her primary. He can order and evaluation with a homecare facility that is able to bill Medicare. I am surprised if she was in over 3 days that rehab wasn't mentioned in a facility or at home. With her history she may be able to have PT/OT. If she qualifies, you may be able to get an aide with the facility but only for the time she has therapy.

Call the DADS program Department of Aging & Disability Services. You should be able to get some assistance but you if she has too much money in the bank, they will not help.

Hi there! You are correct, there is no "free help" out there. My mother was picked up by adult protective services in Georgia and I went there to get her and bring her to NC, near me. I found out just how helpful these government agencies are. They will move in to make sure there is no neglect, but if they think there is a responsible party, they offer NO HELP AT ALL. If your mother has dementia but has not been "declared" by the state, you need to get a Power of Attorney asap. Otherwise, I would think Adult Protective Services should be called and told what is going on with your mom. If they find that you are leaving her to go to work, you will be charged with neglect and you don't want to go down that road. Since your mom will not cooperate with you, you don't have too many other options. Like the others said, Medicare does cover some home visits after hospitalization. Good luck.

Georgia is a filial responsibility state. So if the Social Worker said family had to pay, that tells me family got some of her money within the last five years. That being the case, Medicaid will not pay and they impose a "penalty".

kittysue,
When my Mother's Hospice tried to take her off their service because THEY thought she was doing better and I KNEW she wasn't,I went over their heads and I called The Quality Improvement Organization and appealed my Mother's Hospice Company's decision and we won and she never missed a day of care.Maybe this would work for you too.

" I have to work , my mother doesnt want to pay me, my siblings dont think I deserve it either."

How long has your mother been living with you? What was the agreement that she would pay you for household expenses? How much money does she have that she apparently doesn't want to touch? Why don't your siblings think you deserve money? What kind of caregiving are you doing for your mother now?

I know...lots of questions for you. But it would help to get a more complete picture of your situation.

Don't transfer mom's money to your name. Medicaid, when needed, would find the transfer then penalize mom the equivalent until they will begin covering her expenses. Use that money to pay for her care, then apply for Medicaid.