My Mother has been crying for 4 days. What else can I do? - AgingCare.com

My Mother has been crying for 4 days. What else can I do?

The doctor gave her new meds. but she is still crying. She only stops when she eats.

17

Answers

Pray WITH your mother, she knows the end is near , she is afraid, just as you will be.

Google " can side effects of (new medications name ) cause crying ?

Does your mom know why she's crying? I hadn't cried for twenty years until recently in the last six or seven months when my husband got ill, but it's been worse in the last couple of months. And it's pretty awful from this side too. The pesky tears just well up and pour out. I even went to my doctor about it because it's really embarrassing especially if I happen to be in public. He said it's understandable but as I'm already on an anti anxiety/antidepressant he doesn't want to move into anything heavier. Distraction really is the best thing. Odd things set it off - an old song, the thought of how kind everyone is, my husbands poor little skinny legs - even thinking about holidays. Actually I have to say the more sympathy people give me the worse it is. My sister has it just right, she acknowledges my weeping then talks about something else like a new cake recipe or something.

Let's see if I have this right. Your mom was crying, so you took her to the doctor and NEW meds were prescribed? Did the doctor say anything at the time (ie) these may take a few days to kick in, or if the crying doesn't stop within 24 hrs - call me.? She sounds miserable. I would check the meds for side effects and call her doctor asap. Poor thing.

Have you researched the meds for individual side effects as well as interations with other meds?

What, if anything, precipitated the crying? Did something traumatic occur? Is this soft weeping or more intense sobbing?

Your mother might have a disease called Pseudobulbar Affect, where bouts on crying happen. Does she also laugh "out of the blue" (also a symptom of this disease)?

My mother has vascular dementia, and she cries an awful lot as well. Reading/discussing with people I have found that crying or laughing are 2 of the biggest symptoms of vascular dementia. I don't know what your mother has illness-wise, but the best thing I have found it to just hug her, then put on a movie or something (my mom has always loved movies, esp. musicals). After a while it seems to help distract her from the crying. She also started Namenda 3 months ago and it has made a tremendously good difference in her outlook. Hope some of this helps - hugs to you too!

Could she be in pain and not able to tell you? That would be my first concern without having more info.

I watched a lady cry for 3 weeks when she had changes in her life.
She was relocated twice and just had a hard time adapting to the change.
I am not sure about her medications, but was told by the nurse to not give too much attention to the crying. Like I said after 3 weeks, it stopped and she is perfectly adjusted now to her new environment. It can be very difficult feeling helpless with someone like that because you can not do anything to stop those tears. As long as you know she has everything she needs and you show some compassion and offer to help, then move on. The new meds can be causing hormonal changes too and of course your doctor would know best.
(Think about how we address this issue with a child)